Science Forums

Are Religious People More Prone to Internet Trolling than Non-Religious People?

InfiniteNow

Do you think that religious people are more prone to internet TROLLING?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you think that religious people are more prone to internet TROLLING?

• Yes
    • No

The original term trolling meant to renew topics that have already been discussed to bring new members into the discussion. It was coined to mean something similar to trolling when you fish, sending out a trusty hook to catch new people. Someone with a religious bent, who is new to the site, will be trolled in with any topic connected to evolution or religion. One of the chum tricks, by atheist, to make a general comment out of ignorance, such as believing in ghosts, is what religion is all about.

In terms of the newer definition of trolling, we are discussing, atheist bias about religion is trolling to anyone who took the time to learn more about the subject. It is linear, predictable and doesn't attempt to come to any truth. This type of trolling does not require support evidence to prove linear claims.

I used to 'troll' very often, but I have always been a believer in Science, I never believed in any sort of 'super-being' or any 'super-natural' force of any kind.

When I was very young I believed more in the Christian Religion, but my belief in science and how the world works has always been superior.

But I am a troll by all means, even if I'm less of one now. I feed off of emotion. So if I had to guess, I would say religion and trolling are not related.

When you ask if the religious are more prone to trolling, do you mean more prone to troll, or more easily trolled?

In my experience, religious people very rarely troll; believing in what you say, however ridiculous it may be, pretty much excludes the possibility of trolling. That said, their posts often has as disruptive an influence as trolling posts, which ironically makes posing as a religious "true believer" a very useful tactic for a non-religious troll.

• 2 weeks later...
Not like GAHD said because they have a love for always being right.

here I will nitpick you.

I attribute this to them taking their love for "being right, damn it!" beyond ONE book.
By inserting "always" and omitting "beyond one book" you drastically change the meaning of what I said.:)

To clarify: Atheists "troll" about things OTHER than religion. And I'd hardly call their passions uniform. Where'd the agnostics get lumped anyways?

To clarify: Atheists "troll" about things OTHER than religion.

If an atheist were to "troll" about something apart from religion, why would his atheism have any bearing on it? If somebody "trolls" a site that is about structural engineering, why would you assume the troller to be an atheist, and not, say, a Muslim?

I dare say that chances of a troll at a site dedicated to something like structural engineering is at least fifty-fifty, if not completely in favour of the troll being religious.

Because, you see, it's not about them "being right". They're just so damned used to defending the indefensible.