Science Forums

Road Signs That Don't Make Sense

alexander

So i've been working on this for a bit now, but i am compiling a list of road signs, that make no sense, if you think about them. So here we go, let me start you off with some good ones:

Blind Driveway

Blind Curve Ahead - (inanimate objects dont have vision, say it like it is, it's a blind driver)

Caution Slow Down Pedestrian Traffic - (i still don't know what they mean)

Slow Watch For Pedestrians - (as opposed to a fast watch or something)

Watch for Pedestrians - (How about a watch for motorists?)

Slow Children

Slow Children Crossing

Slow Pedestrians

Slow School

Slow Playground

Slow Children Playing - (Am I the only person who thinks that calling people slow isn't nice, especially on a public road? To me it's one step away from calling them retarded, and that is wrong! Maybe special, or mentally challenged, or physically challenged...)

Caution Falling Rock - (Though the conflict with US natives was over a long time ago?)

Draw Bridge Ahead - (What if one can't draw?)

Men Working - (Seems a bit sexist)

Parking Lot Cycles - (Haven't been able to figure out what this one is trying to tell me either)

No Dumping - (What if you REALLY have to go... i mean.... never mind)

No Smoking On Campus Prohibited - (Found this one on one of the college campuses i visited)

High Pedestrian Area - (I was like, am in in Jamaica or Amsterdam or something?)

Tis it for now... i will post more as i find more. Don't hesitate to post, if you have signs that you still don't get.

Lastly, in advanced, someone will post a speed limit sign for the high way, yes i don't understand those either, haha, you're funny, go find ones that really don't make sense.

Stop here on red - (But the line is white!)

All trucks commercial vehicles next right - (This one is plain, confusing, trucks are commercial vehicles, all trucks commercial vehicles does not make sense as a phrase, and then the direction gets added and it gets me waaay confused.)

Use ped signal - (what is a PED signal?)

This one is also from the plain stupid realm: [img=http://www.trafficsign.us/100/reg/r9-4a.gif]http://www.trafficsign.us/100/reg/r9-4a.gif[/img]

no thumbs up apparently...

[img=http://www.trafficsign.us/100/reg/r9-7.gif]http://www.trafficsign.us/100/reg/r9-7.gif[/img] - seriously, go forward back....

• 1 month later...

Hahahaha!!! 3-way stop, is a good one, first reference that made in my head did not go with the amount of ways to stop, but more of a "stop for a" ordeal, either case, makes no sense....

here are a few more:

Dead End - as opposed to a live one? or is there where you end up dead?

Left Lane Must Turn Left - this one makes me laugh... nothing mentions cars in that lane...

Motor-Driven Cycles Prohibited - how about human-driven, motor-propelled ones?

Emergency Stopping Only - so i can't safely come to a stop, only if i slam on the breaks.... got it

Use Lane with Green Arrow - what if i dont have a green arrow?

Dead End - as opposed to a live one? or is there where you end up dead?

This is interesting to me not only because I live at a dead end street, but because I've never considered the phrase before. I just always accepted its meaning and never really questioned it's validity. Now that I am, it's quite strange...It's better than "Life End" I suppose...

"Road ends in (x amount of) feet" would be better.

As an aside (there's another funny phrase), I've actually heard someone say "dead end cul-de-sac"!! :)

Hey T, i have one for you too :) (see attached image)

It's better than "Life End" I suppose...

but not as good as a live end, i mean dead end may be really blah, viewing it live would at least be somewhat fun :hyper:

Moon,

i think in san fran there is an exit sign that says "A street" (you can find pictures online)

• 1 month later...

Warning Construction Area - well, that leaves no question as to what they are constructing, you know, a simple comma would make that sign make sense...

Share The Road - It's mine, my own, my precious :)

Shoulder drop off - hmm, as opposed to like a thigh drop off?

here's one that also does not make sense:

bridge ices before road - so it definitely does not ice before me, only the road?

no center stripe - to keep ricers out....? but i was with a friend of mine, on an 07 Z06 and he had 2 center stripes from the manufacturer on his car, i thought, though we didn't get pulled over, clearly, we could easily have been...