Science Forums

Snoring

TheBigDog

Rumor has it that I snore very loudly. I have a cold right now, and last night I was so loud that Shannon packed up and moved downstairs to the couch. So it got me thinking...

What is the purpose of snoring? I find the human animal to be of such brilliant engineering that everything about us has some purpose. What would the purpose of snoring be? A couple of possibilities...

• The sound would scare off predators, thus making sleep safer for early wild humans.
  • The sound prepares women for the sleep deprivation associated with rearing infants.
  • The sound resonates as a frequency that prevents hump-back-whales in outer space from destroying the earth.

Any thoughts?

Bill

I tend to think that there's not really a purpose to snoring, but rather it is a result of many things such as being overweight, smoking, lack of fitness (for a more comprehensive list see here). So more likely it's come about because we don't take care of ourselves as much as we used to (bad diets, more reasons to sit, less reason to exercise).

Apparently males have narrower airways than women, so are more likely to snore.

They've told me I snore like an overweight walrus in breeding season. I told them it's not true. I stand humbly corrected. I have snored myself awake, thinking that someone's cutting my house apart with a chainsaw. When this happened, I went to bed completely sober. I'm not overweight, I don't have any fat around my throat, I'm quite fit, etc. So I don't know what the reason could be.

Apparently males have narrower airways than women, so are more likely to snore.

The reason males have narrower airways than women, is because we don't talk as much! :turtle:

So maybe that's the reason we snore! We have to release all the built-up pressure from not yapping constantly through the day! If we don't snore, we'll explode. All the ancient cave-dwellers who didn't snore exploded, and couldn't procreate.

The reason males have narrower airways than women, is because we don't talk as much! :turtle:

Ha,ha,ha,ha,...You're cracken me up Bo.

There are exceptions to that rule my friend, my wife is the snorer in our household. And I'm tellin ya, she can shake the paint right of the walls when she really gets after it.........................Infy