Science Forums

Internet Exploder

My Computer>tools>folder options>view>tick show hidden files and folders/untick hide protect operating system files. Then go through your system folders (program files, windows, system/32 etc.,) and manually delete (put in recycle bin) everything you find about IE.

Then go start>run>type 'regedit'>edit>find (or ctrl+f)>search for internet explorer/IE and whatever variation you think of (not 'explorer' though)>delete every entry that comes up (you can be more thorough by going through it manually, most important things will be in ..._root). Run disk clean up.

This should do it i think - unless it's totally hidden.

I think you'll experience a negative effect on your OS if you do this though - i wouldnt recommend.

Exactly, nearly all the spyware/adware/viruses have come on to my computer through holes in IE. I tried to delete the .exe file for IE but Windows replaced it. I tried to rename the extension but Windows replaced it. I tried renaming the entire file with a .jpg extension, but Windows not only replaced it, but now can open IE with Evilprogram.jpg (I left that one, it amused me).

ok, Explorer is a very big part of windows (unless you run litestep which can be instead of certain parts of the explorer). Internet explorer though should not be that big a deal, if it only wasnt for microsoft thinking that a browser should be a part of an operating system, but there are ways to get rid of it...

If you go controll pannel/ add remove programs/ add remove windows components, IE should be in there, checked, uncheck it and next to the end, you should be able to get rid of that junk. As to leaving it there, thats unnecessary space that you are wasting there Tinny... (you might need a win CD)

Tell us how it goes. I'll do it too probably monday if it goes well with you pgrmdave.

If you go controll pannel/ add remove programs/ add remove windows components, IE should be in there, checked, uncheck it and next to the end, you should be able to get rid of that junk.

I've tried it before. If you read the fine print at the bottom of the window, it reads "Adds or removes access to Internet Explorer from the Start menu and Desktop"

It only removes access to it. Plus, you don't save any disk space, total disk space required is 0.0 MB.

• 1 month later...
pgrmdave, winows lies, even a shortcut takes up space!

anyways there seems to be only one tool out there that allows you to remove Internet Explorer(the real one). It's called XPLite, version you need is pro, its not cheap though, $40, but it allows you to really tinker with your Windows...

I actually bought this and can say that it does indeed let you remove IE. The problem is that a lot of windows programs actually uses IE components so I neded up not removing it after all. Got rid of a lot of other stuff, though.

If you are trying to pull IE out of XP, its really only through using XPlite. But if IE is under any other windows 95-2000, then you can use IEradicator.

http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html

Another interesting site, that has only ASM written programs and their ultra small and powerful. http://www.grc.com same kinda site as litepc, they dont believe in the bounds of Windows...*shivers*

• 4 months later...
The easy way of eradicating IE off yer Computer is to go to Control Panel and then Click on the Add/or remove programs option and then click on IE in that menu and click delete.

I see that you know not of windows mazes and stupidities that lie there within. You do not remove IE by doing that, you simply remove some shortcuts on the desktop, the app is still where it has been.

Why, you ask, that cant be right. Well, it is, since bill gates claimed an internet browser to be a part of an OS, Microsoft has done everything therein to make a web browser be as hard to delete as possible. In Longhorn MS is planning to integrade the web browser into explorer fully, so browsing your files and the internet is done from within one program, I hope that never happens, but oh well, i dont use windows anyways.

But yeah, XPlite is so far the only way i know of to date that would dispose of the IE beast...