Science Forums

White beetle dazzles scientists

Ganoderma

i dont usually post news stories but this one interested me more than some.

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | White beetle dazzles scientists

A dazzling insect could help the development of brilliant white, ultra-thin materials, a study suggests.

The finger-tip sized Cyphochilus beetle, found in south-east Asia, had a shell whiter than most other materials found in nature, UK researchers said.

Close inspection reveals a unique surface structure covered with scales 10 times thinner than human hair.

A report in Science magazine claims mimicking these scales could provide a range of applications for industry.

When I put them under the electron microscope, it was like another world had opened up

Dr Pete Vukusic, Exeter University

"Such pure bright whiteness is uncommon in insects," explained lead scientist Dr Pete Vukusic of Exeter University.

"You do see the odd bit of whiteness here and there, mainly in butterflies, but the whiteness is really incomparable with this little beetle."

In the study of the insect, Vukusic's team used a number of techniques such as optical microscopy, laser analysis and spectrometry.

The researchers found, according to the International Organization for Standardization measurements, the beetle was much brighter and whiter than milk and the average human tooth.

see link for the rest

• 3 weeks later...