Science Forums

Biology of human intercultural relationships

Dov Henis

As a follow-up of my thread

http://hypography.com/forums/biology/8856-culture-intelligence.html#post140971

and in conjunction with the ongoing thread

http://hypography.com/forums/social-sciences/9717-war-terror-changing-us.html

I posit that the relationship between the various human cultures follows the patterns and processes of the relationship between indigenous, alien and invasive life, plants and animals etc.,.

And I suggest that for a realistically practical approach to dealing with human intercultural problems, including intercultural terrorism, it is essential and helpful to be familiar with the subject matter of the relationship between indigenous, alien and invasive life, plants and animals etc.,.

My this suggestion follows from the observation that culture is a trait of ALL life forms and that human culture is an elaboration of the ubiquitous life's culture, as all human traits and capabilities are elaborations of heritage from our predecessors all the way back to the first genes in Earth's biosphere.

I think and suggest,

Dov

As a follow-up of my thread

and in conjunction with the ongoing thread

http://hypography.com/forums/social-sciences/9717-war-terror-changing-us.html

I posit that the relationship between the various human cultures follows the patterns and processes of the relationship between indigenous, alien and invasive life, plants and animals etc.,.

And I suggest that for a realistically practical approach to dealing with human intercultural problems, including intercultural terrorism, it is essential and helpful to be familiar with the subject matter of the relationship between indigenous, alien and invasive life, plants and animals etc.,.

My this suggestion follows from the observation that culture is a trait of ALL life forms and that human culture is an elaboration of the ubiquitous life's culture, as all human traits and capabilities are elaborations of heritage from our predecessors all the way back to the first genes in Earth's biosphere.

I think and suggest,

Dov

Sorry, but I can't discern one coherent thought from this post.

:mickmouse:

I posit that the relationship between the various human cultures follows the patterns and processes of the relationship between indigenous, alien and invasive life, plants and animals etc...culture is a trait of ALL life forms and that human culture is an elaboration of the ubiquitous life's culture, as all human traits and capabilities are elaborations of heritage from our predecessors all the way back to the first genes in Earth's biosphere.

So you are advocating E. O. Wilson's "sociobiology"? I'm not clear enough about what you are saying to agree or disagree with you.

—Larv

... about... the key characteristic patterns and processes of the relationship between indigenous, alien and invasive life, plants and animals...:

An example of plants world scenario

APWG: Background Information

and a brief look into some human intercultural scenarios

Immigration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I suggest that most aspects of relationships between local life (plants,fauna etc.,) and "newly" introduced foreign life must be similar to relationships between local human population and "newly" arrived immigrant communities,

and I suggest why such similarity may be expected.

Dov

So, let me test my understanding, and please correct me where you can as needed.

There are similarities in all life since we share common ancestry.

You suggest that one area of this similarity is immigration being analogous to weeds or foreign plants entering a garden.

That to better understand the cultural exchange and resistance issues involved with immigration, we could study what happens when plants are introduced to a new bed/garden/etc.

Cultures will merge together, and this could be analogous to the cross-breeding of seeds (apricot + plum = pluot...).

Some cultures are more invasive/imperialistic than others.

Often, those native plants will fight the newcomers for resources.

That this similarity stems from the original source of life to which every current life form is connected?

It's a fruit if it has seeds. :D

I confess my ignorance. Not familiar with E.O.Wilson's works and with the term

sociobiology.

Will try to clarify whatever you ask.

In a nutshell, Wilson's "sociobiology" compares humans to ants and other social critters in order to explain our innate behaviors. Genes of course link us all together, so the real question is about how tightly that linkage actually is. Wilson sides with Williams, Hamilton, and Dawkins on the genetic causes of behavior. Maybe a few older ones here can remember all the trouble Wilson and Hamilton stirred at Harvard and Michigan in the 1970s over whether or not human behavior can (or should) be compared to that of "lower forms of life." (What a revolting idea that is!)

—Larv

In a nutshell, Wilson's "sociobiology" compares humans to ants and other social critters in order to explain our innate behaviors. Genes of course link us all together, so the real question is about how tightly that linkage actually is. Wilson sides with Williams, Hamilton, and Dawkins on the genetic causes of behavior. Maybe a few older ones here can remember all the trouble Wilson and Hamilton stirred at Harvard and Michigan in the 1970s over whether or not human behavior can (or should) be compared to that of "lower forms of life." (What a revolting idea that is!)—Larv

Larv,

- Thank you for filling this gap in my study files.

- If you have'nt yet glanced at it, please take a look at

It is short and clear, I think, and explains our innate behaviors.

- Of course rationally and scientifically all our traits are a heritage from all our predecessors in the course of evolution. We are indeed one of nature's "lower forms of life" that evolved in Earth's biosphere, which is one version of the cosmic evolution phenomena of formation of temporary constraints packages of ever diluting cosmic energy.

- The extent of our difference from our chimp/bonobo is due to the radical change of our mode and environments of life (forest to plains) and the high esteem in which we regard ourselves is both a human religious artifact (circa 100,000 yrs old) and an evolved tool for ever more effective survivability.

I think,

Dov