Science Forums

Science of Mediums

LJP07

I was watching a programme recently called " Colin Fry " and he seems to be very good at telling people what they want to hear about a relative that died in the past. He even points and finds the area where that person is sitting and talks to the person asking for further information.

These two groups of people claim that they have the ability to complete these acts and that they are of a special sense that they can read these.

However, I do not believe this to be the case. A well-known celebrity called Derren Brown travelled to the US acting as a medium in front of many people. He did not have any information on any of them but acted like he knew what he was talking about. Apparantly the information was true in one persons case and they were shocked as to how Derren got all the information right. But Derren just acted!?

There was also other claims and television programmes associated with mediums showing that they got much information on the person before the programme took place, whether this is the case for all mediums is subject to argument.

But does this have scientific basis that actually some people do have these abilities?

Do they have this sixth sense that allows them to contact the other side and even communicate with them. Is it psychological or is it plain rubbish?

There was also other claims and television programmes associated with mediums...

This isn't really Theology, could be watercooler, but I am moving it to strange claims for discussion there. It's worthy of exploration, just in the proper area. :)

But does this have scientific basis that actually some people do have these abilities?

My stance is that these "mediums" are incredibly intuitive and resourceful, and have some stronger ability to put together fragmented histories. AFAIC, they form these histories based on their interactions with the listener, searching for meaning and importance based on very subtle cues... Microfacial twitches, body positioning, scent (and all other nonverbal cues), as well as the response received to some very common questions asked of them. Then, follow-ups with conditionally branched questions (Like those choose your own story books... "If Billy goes home after school, proceed to page 46. If Billy plays soccer with friends after school, proceed to page 22...")

Do they have this sixth sense that allows them to contact the other side and even communicate with them. Is it psychological or is it plain rubbish?

Well, maybe yes and maybe no, but we need first to clarify... the other side of what? What does it mean to "contact?" Those are some incredibly important concepts to be clear on prior to deciding if someone described as a medium truly has any special powers or gifts.

If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on the idea that these mediums don't have any abilities different from the rest of us, they've just learned how to focus themselves in such a way as to make money and/or be recognized by hopeful others that they have a special power.

Psychosociological madlibs...

"I'm sensing a male figure... perhaps...hmmm... perhaps from your past... He's... he's smiling." :doh:

the other side of what? What does it mean to "contact?" Those are some incredibly important concepts to be clear on prior to deciding if someone described as a medium truly has any special powers or gifts.

Wikipedia states :

" In spirituality, a medium or spirit medium (plural mediums) is an individual who possesses the ability to receive messages from spirits channel such entities — that is, write or speak in the voice of these entities rather than in the medium's own voice. (discorporate entities), or claims that he or she can. "

Skeptics dispute the existence of genuine mediums, arguing that individuals who claim to possess this ability are either self-deluded or charlatans who engage in cold or hot reading. In some cases, individuals have produced personal information (allegedly told to them by a spirit) to their clients well above guessing rates. [1]

Harry Houdini was a famous magician who became a debunker of mediums later in life and, indeed, even in death, because he left a ten-word passphrase with his wife that a medium should say in order to prove they were channelling him. Although many people did claim to channel Houdini, no-one was able to reproduce the passphrase. Mediums are eligible for the JREF Paranormal Challenge, which offers a million dollars for a demonstration of a paranormal ability. [2] To date, no medium has passed the challenge.

Does this prove that Mediums are not genuine if not one has passed the JREF Challenge ( James Randi Educational Foundation ), they must have gotten many chances from mediums and failed. But who's to say that the person entering is a medium and is just an oddjobber that hopes to win the 1 Million off chance? :( I'd pluck for the first option and declare that this is undeniable proof that they fool people. If as one article has read, that it is spiritual, then surely they would be able to get everything right, but a recent one got none right, so wheres the validity there?

Further interesting reading can be located here :

James Randi Educational Foundation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Does anyone think their genuine?