Science Forums

Transaction analysis

tarak

Do we have a Transaction analysis framework for understanding psychological problems like social anxiety disorders and general anxiety conditions?Particularly I would like to know How to sustain the adult ego state when it is in a dynamic interaction with Child and Parent states.

I read most of Eric Berne's writings on Transactional Analysis in the late 60's and found them very useful in helping me with my lack of social skills and poor relationship skills. Very helpful, indeed.

My understanding is that TA only speaks to disorders in behavior and attitude that come about through childhood experiences that cause dysfunctional "training". True psychological or psychiatric problems caused by genetic or developmental problems in infancy would not be addressed.

Anxiety disorders can be caused by a number of things. If they are caused by growing up in a dysfunctional family (giving you dysfunctional Child and Parent ego states) then TA may be of some help in understanding, and hence tackling those disorders. An external mentor (counselor, therapist) is important! You don't want a dysfunctional Parent ego state setting your priorities for you!!!! :confused:

Thanks...I actually want to understand the role of TA with reference to overcoming specific social anxieties towards a well balanced self estem

The best place to start is with the original TA books by Eric Berne.

"Games People Play" can be found here at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Games-People-Play-transactional-analysis/dp/0345410033/sr=1-1/qid=1166025041/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-4724826-4089524?ie=UTF8&s=books.

There is also, "Transactional Analysis After Eric Berne: Teachings and Practics of Three TA Schools" by Robert C. Drye, John M. Dusay, et al. It is out of print, but you may find it in your library.

Another good starter book is, "I'm Ok, You're Ok" by M.D., Thomas A Harris.

One that I haven't read is, "I'm OK, You're My Parents : How to Overcome Guilt, Let Go of Anger, and Create a Relationship That Works" by Dale Atkins.