Science Forums

I propose a chemical....

Mercedes Benzene

• 1 year later...

The contest is as follows:

I will start by describing a chemical substance. People will then have to guess the chemical through research or just general knowledge based on the information provided.

Here are some simple rules:

-make it as challenging as you like (harder is generally more fun I think), so be as descriptive as necessary

-Don't use elements. The chemical in question must be at least tertiary (3 elements)

-Once the first contest is over (created by me), anyone may post their own (but please, only one at a time)

-You don't have to provide rep as a reward, but I am for the first run-through.

-stay on topic in the thread. posts not on topic may be deleted.

Ready? I'll start easy. :doh:

I propose a chemical... that is composed of C,H, and N. It is sometimes used to make whiteboards, and comes in the form of trichloro________, used as a disinfectant.

:turtle:

Remember, trichloro isn't part of the chemical that I'm looking for. I just said that it is used in the trichloro- form as a disinfectant. Perhaps I should have been more clear.

I just re-read what you wrote and it was clear, but I guess I got hung up on the trichloro-.

Anyway, I'm gonna guess triazine because it just seems to fit.

I just re-read what you wrote and it was clear, but I guess I got hung up on the trichloro-.

Anyway, I'm gonna guess triazine because it just seems to fit.

Not triazine, but that's very close.:) Since this one seems to be especially puzzling, I'll give a huge hint:

The empirical formula is [ce]CH2N2[/ce]

Not triazine, but that's very close.:) Since this one seems to be especially puzzling, I'll give a huge hint:

The empirical formula is [ce]CH2N2[/ce]

Is it diazomethane, cyanamide, or diazirine?

~modest

edit:

I see cyanamide was already guessed, sorry