Science Forums

Biological security measures?

There are a lot of science fiction movies where people pass locked doors etc by using stolen body parts (fingers for finger prints, eyes for retina scans). Like in the movie Minority Report where Tom Cruise has to replace his eyes in order to avoid being recognized all over the place (but keeps one in a plastic bag for later use). :wink:

But this is not as silly as it seems. According to this story:

Biometrics must balance privacy and security

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/12/02/biometrics.story/index.html

...the Electronic Frontier Foundation is not too happy about the privacy issues.

"You can change a password, you can re-key a lock, but your fingers, your iris, your voice, they're you. So when someone compromises the security of that kind of biometric, you're stuck," said Lee Tien, senior staff attorney at EFF.

Scary stuff. Or what?

well, those security measures are somewhat required in some places; secret research labs working on the innovations in technology in the future being one. I really dont like security though, i think that if everything was open, the world would be a better place for all of us, i just really dont like this microsoftism everywhere, can you imagine if we knew all about all the secret projects of today, the scientists not out of the research teams could help a lotby knowig certain little, but crutial parts of the project which could mean thousands if not millions of dollars difference in research price for the companies. Open everything would rock, but our society as of now can not possibly do anything like that because they support this beurocracy and the government way of doing things...