Science Forums

Omens

ughaibu

Please give me a good reason why this should stay in the Social Sciences Forum ughaibu, otherwise it will be moved to the Watercooler.......................Infy

Can I give it a shot? :shrug: Omens constitute but one of many superstitious beliefs which govern peoples' behaviors in societies. For example, before the nature of comets was revealed by scientific investigation, they were held as omens (for either good or bad) and as such helped launch a few wars as well as secure power for the priests & shaman who claimed to understand the phenomenon.:cocktail: :cup:

Please give me a good reason why this should stay in the Social Sciences Forum ughaibu, otherwise it will be moved to the Watercooler.......................Infy
This is clearly a humorous thread. The watercooler seems the place for it.

Omen: infamous announces his intention to move a thread to the watercooler … :cocktail:

Infamous: Turtle pretty much summed it up, but if you want to move it that's fine with me.
Your first post had nothing to do with Social Sciences ughaibu, on the other hand, Turtle presented us with a few good examples. Nevertheless, you were the orginator of this thread and as such, should offer us a few examples of your own.....................Infy

The question is "why?" Friday the 13th is integrated in the calender, it is necessarily followed by Saturday the 14th, and as Turtle pointed out, sequences included predecessors too. No day exists in isolation.
Thank you ughaibu.............just for the record; If this thread turns into a place for cute or quipsical remarks, it will be moved to the Watercooler.................Infy

Infamous: Thanks, and it's no problem for me if you move the thread, whatever you think best is fine by me.
We'll leave it here for the time being ughaibu, I'm just concerned about maintaining the integrity of the forum and concentrating our thoughts on serious discussion relative to Social Science. A little witt and sarcasm are always permitted as long as the focus and context of the forum is not lost in the exchange. We have a place where witt and sarcasm can be freely expressed without intervention so long as forum rules are not breached. That place is the Watercooler. Once again, thank you for your cooperation....................Infy

• 2 weeks later...

13 is an unlucky number . NO WAY ! it just reflects the primitive man's capacity to think !

when man learned to count he had 5 + 5 = 10 fingers and considering 2 units as his feet it would make 12 . after that was 13 which was frightning .

thats why 13 is an unlucky no to the closed minds

( I came across this in a book :naughty: )

cheers

TBA