Science Forums

Just an Introduction.

oldpaddoboy

Hi all. About myself, I'm an old bugger, 80 in July, who has always had an interest in science, particularly astronomy and cosmology. I live in a beautiful beach side suburb of Sydney, with my Mrs and am a retired maintenance Fitter/Machinist/Welder. Probably my greatest life moment, was deciding as a single man at the age of 29, to do something new and exotic for my 4 months long service leave from the company I worked for, (ICIANZ,(Imperial Chemical Industries of Australia and New Zealand) That "new and exotic adventure was in January 1974, flying over to Cristobal/Colon in Panama and helping to crew a British registered, three mastered Barquentine named Eolus. That trip took me through the Panama canal, (an adventure in itself) and across the Pacific stopping at such places like the Galapagos Islands, the Marquesas Islands, Tuamoto Archepelago group, Tahitian Islands, Cook Islands, Tongan Islands, Fiji Islands, Norfolk Island, Lord Howe Island and arriving back in Sydney on the 30th May that same year. I became a sailor of sorts, and relished the best 4 months of my life. My other interests are music, ( from the good old days of rock n roll, Country and Western and light classical. Favourite artists of all time are the King, (Elvis, is there another?) and the beautiful, exquisite Nana Mouskouri, or as I prefer to call her, "My Greek Angel". I am also a loyal supporter of the NRL Rugby League footy team, the mighty eastern suburbs Roosters. Have just finished reading Lawrence Krauss' book, "A Universe from Nothing". I have read many of Carl Sagan's books, and see him as the greatest educator of our day. I believe his "pale blue dot" narrative, should be compulsory reading for all primary aged school children everywhere. My favourite science quote is "Science is what we know: Philosophy is what we don,t know"  Bertrand Russell. I'll finish off my introduction with a photo of the Eolus, noting that when climbing the masts to the top sails and top gallants, we had no safety harness,s at all. The Eolus was also skippered by a Danish fellow named Anders Jansen.  The square rigged barquentine Eolus from Portsmouth sailed into Sydney Harbour today after leaving England on 24th Dec 73.The Eolus in Sydney Harbour.

Welcome aboard our humble forum.

We are happy to have you on board and hope you enjoy posting here.

I liked your story about the three-masted  EOLUS, and felt compelled to do a bit of research.

I found this blog that has some of her history, as well as her present state as a restaurant in Malta, renamed the BLACK PEARL:

05b00e90.jpg

I am a marine engineer myself. As a US Coast Guard cadet many years ago I cut my teeth on this beautiful three-masted cutter, the USCGC EAGLE:

eagle.gif

I can well understand why you consider those four months in 1974 as the best in your life. There is nothing quite like crossing an ocean on a tall ship.

4 hours ago, OceanBreeze said:

Welcome aboard our humble forum.

We are happy to have you on board and hope you enjoy posting here.

I liked your story about the three-masted  EOLUS, and felt compelled to do a bit of research.

I found this blog that has some of her history, as well as her present state as a restaurant in Malta, renamed the BLACK PEARL:

05b00e90.jpg

I am a marine engineer myself. As a US Coast Guard cadet many years ago I cut my teeth on this beautiful three-masted cutter, the USCGC EAGLE:

eagle.gif

I can well understand why you consider those four months in 1974 as the best in your life. There is nothing quite like crossing an ocean on a tall ship.

Thanks for the welcome matey. To make a long story short, I did fail to mention what happened to the Eolus after I left it in Sydney. I had an offer from the owners to rejoin the crew permanently when it got back to Portsmouth England in December that same year. But inbetween I got married instead! We also on the Panama Sydney leg, went through a force 8, gusting to force 9 gale, with 35ft seas and bigger. I remember the Skipper not being concerned at all with any possible danger to the crew and remarking how he would have no hesitation in taking her around the Horn. The Eolus handled the weather incredibly well, and it was rare that we did take white water over the decks and bow.  If covid had not intervened I was planning to visit the old Lady in MALTA and wine and dine on her, as well as reminiscing of course. Thanks again for the welcome.