Science Forums

The game theory and ethology against divorces

Spathi

I think that the knowledge of game theory and ethology can be useful for ordinary people because it can reduce the number of divorces. The cause of divorce is often the selfishness of the spouses; and knowledge of the modern scientific paradigm makes you look at many things a little differently. First of all, these sciences provide an understanding that any egoism is evil.

What I am writing about can be understood by reading the book “The Selfish Gene” by Richard Dawkins. I also found two videos concerning this topic, and I will be glad if anyone can provide me some more similar links:

https://youtu.be/mScpHTIi-kM

https://youtu.be/38hI_E33vq4

Here's an example that, as I thought, was covered in some books. A husband and wife choose whether they go to football or to the theater together. If they go to football, the husband gets two units of pleasure, and the wife gets one. If they go to the theater, the husband gets one unit of pleasure, and the wife two. If they prefer compromises, they can agree to alternate going there and there, and have an average of 1.5 units of pleasure. But if the wife is selfish, she can give her husband a choice - either go only to the theater, or not go anywhere. Let's say she has more patience; and the husband decides to give up and go to the theater, because for him it’s still better than not going anywhere. But this is how relationships break down. I’ll add that this example is actually not entirely correct, I can later explain why.