Science Forums

Shirley, you can't be serious

Southtown

Westboro Baptist Church is the name. They're the ones who picket funerals of soldiers and almost the Amish schoolgirls' funeral. They took an offer of airtime for not protesting so they could get their message to a broader audience.

As a former baptist, I find it hard to believe people can claim to pull this line of reasoning out of the bible. I wish the journalists would have asked her to layout the scriptures that supposedly support WBC mentality, but again I'm frustrated by the lack of rational discussion.

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/player06.html?100406/100406_hc_roerer&Hannity_Colmes&Unspeakable%20Outrage%21&acc&US&-1&News&370&&&new

Once again, the Wiki cannot be topped. Westboro Baptist Church

As far as I know, it's a family outfit consisting of Mr. and Mrs. a few siblings and a lot of children, totaling about 25 members. Though they're name includes "Baptist", they do not associate with any other Baptist organizations or churches. A couple are lawyers, which is how they can get away with so much without getting arrested. Their website is elaborate and contains many scripture references.

http://www.godhatesfags.com

I plan on debating the meaning of the verses they quote gradually as I get them researched. It is useless to debate theology by simply hurling scriptures at each other. That said the first one that comes to my mind which contradicts their behavior is Romans 12 in it's entirety. Excerpt:

"
Rejoice with them that rejoice; weep with them that weep.
" --

If I was to read in the local newspaper that Fred Phelps was no longer among the living I would be relieved! This nutcase and his unholy brood are what give religions a bad name. He or his fellow wackos have not picketed any soldiers' funerals here lately. Death threats may in fact work!

Westboro Baptist Church is the name. They're the ones who picket funerals of soldiers and almost the Amish schoolgirls' funeral. ...

I was tempted to take the link and see what the fuss is about, but I'm afraid that if I do so, I will lose my breakfast and my temper, and start indescriminently flaming everybody in sight.

If thoughts were nuclear weapons... :friday: :hihi: :) :xparty:

You both point out the root of the problem: dealing with them. It is obviously unacceptible to cheer at funerals of anyone especially soldiers and murdered children. Unfortunately, the same rights that protect the well-intentioned also protect the mal-intentioned.

Mrs. Phelps and her sister are both licensed attourneys, and the family is well-financed, so the problem not with law enforcement but with actuall legislation. I'm of course implying a decency clause to the right to free speech, which would be a very dangerous and controversial road to go down.

I should have already mentioned that the link in the first post is to the TV interview of Shirley Phelps-Roper on Hannity and Colmes. And yeah, it will work you up.

The fact of the matter in Massachusetts is the Westboro Baptist Church of Kansas has not been able to protest anywhere near the several funerals for fallen soldiers. State and local police locate the handful of WBC members away from funeral parlors, churches, cemetaries, and the routes. Why? Because enough citizens have made it clear if any of these wackos get near any of the funerals violence will result. Also, a group of motorcyclists has been riding shotgun for funeral processions. WBC members are still free to spew their message of hate just not in visual or audio distance of the bereaved families and friends of the fallen. If the police dared to allow the WBC to interupt a funeral there would be a second American Revolution in Massachusetts.

In addition, at the outset several other Eastside members joined Westboro, but after Phelps began his activities (most notably his shooting of a dog that was irritating him), those members returned to Eastside or went elsewhere.

Phelps does not permit Westboro members to marry persons outside the church. As relatively few individuals have joined Westboro, there have been at least two marriages between the Phelps and Hockenbarger clans, resulting in some members having dual genealogical relationships (one member is both the aunt and sister-in-law of another).

I won't touch either of those. :xx:

Biblically speaking, the debate should not become whether God thinks this way or that way about those people or these people. The brunt of the matter is that God doesn't want us judging each other. (Matthew 7:1-2; Matthew 9:13; Matthew 18:23-35; Luke 6:35-38; Romans 12:15; James 2:8-13; James 4:10-12) Quite obvious to those who are looking.

First, biblical morality is something we pursue ourselves. We can't make others pursue morality. Because morality that doesn't come from inside a person doesn't count. I can't be admired for giving money to a poor man who happened to be pointing a gun at me. The best we can do is lead by example and hope that the benefits will be plainly noticed by others and that they will imitate us.

Second, if we are judging each other, we're not loving each other. Since 'love thy neighbor' is the root of biblical morality (and it is, Matthew 22:35-40; Luke 10:25-28; Romans 13:8-10; Galatians 5:14-16) judging your neighbor is a sin.

I did what I said I wasn't going to do, throw verses at them. But the point at which they fail to adhere to the bible isn't in the verses they post on their website or the message they try to convey with them. They deviate before they get that far. Deciding to punish their neighbors (with non-physical assault in this case) puts them in the hot seat before they can even manage to carry through with it.

I did what I said I wasn't going to do, throw verses at them.

There's one I can't find again, but if I give you a general direction and you find it I will hurl it like almighty. Somewhere in Isaiah where the Lord sayeth something like 'you don't know how I think you pitiful stupid human(s)'. The Lord sayeth a lot in Isaihaha & I can't seem to find this sayething; little help?;) You bring 'em, I'll sling 'em. :hihi:

And stop calling me Shirley! :lol: