Science Forums

Tarantulas

ThisIsMyName

I caught my first tarantula of the season today.... I asked my mom to run by the pet shop and grab me some crickets and what she did was run by a bait shop and grabbed some crawdads and Redworms.... I already researched Redworms and it says that's one of their foods... But I can't find anything on crawdads... I mean, I don't know which creature would become the prey.... Anyone know? :shrug:

I don't know which creature [redworm or crawdad] would become the [tarantula’s] prey....
Crawdads have gills, and can’t live out of water very long, and won’t willingly leave it. Tarantulas have spiracles, which unlike the mouths on animals like us, can’t be closed to prevent water from getting into their book lungs. Book lungs, though evolved from gills, are no longer capable of providing enough oxygen to “breath” under water, so, like most spiders tarantulas don’t like water, and will drown if they can’t get out of it.

Many spiders are very opportunistic, so a tarantula may like and eat a crawdad, but I don’t think they’re its natural prey.