Science Forums

Anger

Sleeth

I wasn't sure where to put this thread but I thought it was best suited in this sub-forum.

I was wondering whether or not anger is controllable.

Some people find that controlling their anger is easier compared to others, but can anyone control their anger regardless of whether or not they find it easy?

If you could give me your thoughts on this that would be great.

The best way to control anger is to place oneself or the overly angry person in an environment where others won't take their crap. Only a few treatments are required to learn them proper social restraint. (note: teaching someone involves voluntary learning while learning someone is forced learning until they capitulate.)

A male with an anger problem may abuse his wife and children because they can only try to teach him but don't have the power to learn them. For the learning process the wife may need to call it the local Hell's Angels. They would be happy to learn him. The wife and children now become stronger because of their supportive learning team and can help teach anger management by using the threat of another learning session. The wussy alternative takes too long and allows too much abuse to occur before the process is complete. The only one that deserves abuse is the angry person, not those around himor her.

The best way to control anger is to place oneself or the overly angry person in an environment where others won't take their crap. Only a few treatments are required to learn them proper social restraint. (note: teaching someone involves voluntary learning while learning someone is forced learning until they capitulate.)

A male with an anger problem may abuse his wife and children because they can only try to teach him but don't have the power to learn them. For the learning process the wife may need to call it the local Hell's Angels. They would be happy to learn him. The wife and children now become stronger because of their supportive learning team and can help teach anger management by using the threat of another learning session. The wussy alternative takes too long and allows too much abuse to occur before the process is complete. The only one that deserves abuse is the angry person, not those around himor her.

I think I disagree with everything in your post. Anger and violence are not synonymous. Should I not become angry if I see injustice, suffering, ignorance?

Suppressing anger the way you have suggested does not deal with the problem of anger, it just stops it from having an outlet. Anger happens. To deal with it you turn it into something productive, not let it become negative. Anger does not automatically equate to the infringment on the rights of others. It can be useful, if directed in the proper way. Like using it to be creative, constructing something that requires physical force. Suppressing anger just directs it inward.

I see you do not understand the meaning of my question.

Let me put it a different way.

As Spiked Blood said, 'to deal with it you turn it into something productive, not let it become negative'. My question is, can anyone and everyone control their anger in such a way that they turn it in to something productive and not let it become negative or are some people just not able to do this?

The anger has to come out, wether it be now or through a manifestation in the person't subconcious and coming out later when the person becomes sufficiently neurotic.

Some people can control it better simply because they have more practice at temporary self control.

Anger cannot always be controlled, regardless of how much willpower the person has. It is important to give significance to the fact that anger has magnitude like traits.

Then anger reduces the clear thinking abilities of the person, and there's got to be the right balance between the haze of anger and clear conciousness so that anger can be used productively.

Trying to get productiveness from anger is just a matter of conditioning yourself to manipulate the direction of anger. For example, being beaten at the basketball court may get one angry, and he can turn it to productive by working harder then ever to get better at basketball. (Working even harder than he's able to do in normal times.)

Etc.

All this is basically what I've learnt in life. It works for me very well.

First, control may not be the best term to use here. More appropriate might be "process," or "sort through" feelings of anger. Also, being aware of one's own disposition allows them to take these processing steps sooner. The more you become familiar with your own mindset and internal sensations, the sooner you will become aware of (what are often called) negative emotions and the sooner you can take steps to handle them in a more acceptable manner... The sooner you can "process" it.

Now, I do think that everyone can do this, and to say that some people "just can't control their anger" is a cop out, and indicates a failure to take responsibility for one's own actions. While some people tend to demonstrate less ability to appropriately process their feelings, they still possess that ability.

Oh and yes, I meant control, not process!

That's fine. Can you help me understand then... by "control," do you mean:

Repress

Subdue

Manage

Restrain

Curb

Verify

Regulate

dot dot dot...

Control is a term open for much interpretation, which is why I suggested the term process... It seems more dynamic for the subject, but control is fine too if you can help me grasp in what context you mean.

If I were to guess, I'd say you meant "manage," but appreciate your clarification. Cheers. :)