Science Forums

Media politics

HydrogenBond

If anyone watches or reads the news, one may notice the political bias built into the news. For example, most the major TV networks tend to slant the news with a liberal agender. The conservative orientation has its media members that bias the news in that direction. Freedom of speech allows one to say what they want. But doesn't the freedom of the press imply higher standards with respect to unbiased reporter?

Let me give an example of this bias, if any republican says something racist they are rightfully discredited by the liberal media. If a Democrat does the same thing, one will never see any mention of it by thesesame members of the press. More recently, the conservative media tried to spin the current terrorist threat on short coming by ex president Clinton. The liberal media, helped with damage control by presenting demoncrats to spin sunshine for president Clinton. President Clinton responded in an interview. The conservative media spun it as an hysterical fit, while the liberal media spun it as the birth pains of the democrats growing a backbone.

To me the freedom of the press assumes unbiased reporting. But when the media becomes part of a political propaganda machine, they should be treated as politians and lose their freedom of the press status.

Couldn't agree with you more. Although some media outlets are far worse than others (on both sides).

The best balance I have found is NPR radio.

For political debates and ads I would love to see live fact-checking so that the speakers or canidates (if they are making the claims) could be called on any innacurate facts at that moment and on national TV.