Science Forums

Question?

Little Bang

Does anyone know if there has ever been an instance of a proton spontaniously changing into a neutron?
Wouldn't that require it to combine with an electron? The first thing that comes to mind is a situation where both particles are subjected to great amounts of pressure, as in the interior of a star.....................Infy

I guess my question came from thinking about the very early universe. When matter first condensed from energy or whatever. There must have been a certian percentage of neutrons formed because we had some helium along with all the hydrogen. That implies that the energy or whatever condensed into all the possible forms of quarks, so I was wondering why there were so many more protons formed than neutrons?

To combine two charged particles would need a tremendous amount of energy, so it wouldnt be much of a surprise to learn that more protons remained protons but a few where transformed into neutrons. Further, they would have had to combine with protons within the shortened half-life, to become more stable and remain as neutrons.