Science Forums

Male Haircuts = Psychological Castration?

SaxonViolence

Friends,

Many years ago—back in the 70’s—I read a short two-page article by a psychiatrist who claimed that cutting men’s hair amounts to psychological castration—to some small degree.

He developed the idea that “Society" has a vested interest in feminizing its men—to some degree, because 100% masculine men are too recalcitrant (At least from “Society’s” point of view…)—hence the almost universality of short hair for men.

His description matched how I always felt as a small boy, after a forced visit to the barber chair so well, that I always remembered the thesis of the article.

Unfortunately, I was only a teen and I did not take note of the author’s name or the name of the article.

It seems to me, that no matter how “Out There” a Psychological Theory is—there must be AT LEAST A FEW who subscribe to it.

Unfortunately, my Google Skills aren’t adequate to turn up any exponents of this theory—IF, INDEED, THERE ARE ANY.

I’d really like to write an article on this idea. IF ANYONE can point me toward any papers, Please...

Thanks.

Saxon Violence

Edited by SaxonViolence

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2024 at 11:41 AM, SaxonViolence said:

Friends,

Many years ago—back in the 70’s—I read a short two-page article by a psychiatrist who claimed that cutting men’s hair amounts to psychological castration—to some small degree.

He developed the idea that “Society" has a vested interest in feminizing its men—to some degree, because 100% masculine men are too recalcitrant (At least from “Society’s” point of view…)—hence the almost universality of short hair for men.

His description matched how I always felt as a small boy, after a forced visit to the barber chair so well, that I always remembered the thesis of the article.

Unfortunately, I was only a teen and I did not take note of the author’s name or the name of the article.

It seems to me, that no matter how “Out There” a Psychological Theory is—there must be AT LEAST A FEW who subscribe to it.

Unfortunately, my Google Skills aren’t adequate to turn up any exponents of this theory—IF, INDEED, THERE ARE ANY.

I’d really like to write an article on this idea. IF ANYONE can point me toward any papers, Please...

Thanks.

Saxon Violence

I don't know if I have ever heard that one, that short hair is equivalent to psychological castration much rather to make males more masculine. Here is an article about that how short hair psychologically makes males more masculine, link = Psychology of Cutting Hair Short - PsychologyDictionary.org 

Edited by Vmedvil