Science Forums

Heart to heart conversation

paigetheoracle

I saw a program on TV a few weeks ago that claimed some heart transplant patients ended up taking on the characteristics of the former owner.

The evidence seemed quite convincing, when compared to a lot of supposed 'psychic' events. This to me seems to suggest something else - namely that as the program says, the heart may store memory. If body tissue was like a hologram, then this would make sense and would tie in with genes being cellular recorders of the environment as a new theory in this field suggests (posted on it once but can't remember what they call it offhand).

It says that the genes don't just pump out Model T's into infinity but take account of external influence to modify design (mini-minds, dealing with input as well as output).

One question I personally would have is, is it just donated hearts that throw up this quirk or do other organs display the same characteristic? (Anybody out there know? Not mentioned on the program).

Interesting side issue - if it's only the heart that does this, could heart tissue be the best material for cloning an individual?

where is evidence and records of this?

I'd be interested to read it.

What about pigs, do we take on pig traits if u get a pig heart? or is that possible. lol

Love the bit about the pigs - imagine punctuating conversations with 'oink, oink (pardon me)' or sticking your snout into somebody's garbage, rooting around for goodies ('You'll have to forgive my husband, he's had a pigheart transplant'). Sounds like an idea for a comedy film!

As for references, I'm afraid you'll have to try the net as I don't think I still have the notes I made at the time of watching the program (British TV but an American doctor, so it may have appeared in your tabloid newspapers i.e. National Enquirer or similar. Sorry about that.