Science Forums

Help With Carbon Molecule

TonyC

Unfortunately, Carbon doesn't generally just bond with something... almost completely eliminating the possibility of creating a "filter". You would need energy... or a catalyst in addition to the "filter" substance.

What is the specifics of your experiment, it would be easier with more infomation..

I agree. :fly:

This is for experiment Im doing. What can carbon bond to? By that I mean make it so it doesn't go anywhere. An example would be a filter to filter out carbon.

Thanks.

I think what you are hinting at is carbon molecular structures like fullerenes or carbon nanotubes, these are the kind of carbon molecules that may be useful as molecular sieve

Unfortunately, Carbon doesn't generally just bond with something... almost completely eliminating the possibility of creating a "filter". You would need energy... or a catalyst in addition to the "filter" substance.

I agree. :cup:

What kind of energy? And how to do it. And so there is no way to filter and trap carbon without a source of energy?

Seriously, just take the time to explain a little more and we will be able to help you more fully.. Is the carbon in a solution, in the air, what temperature is this at, how many chinease men can you fit in your closet, things like that.

the carbon would not be in a solution, just imagine a filter that you would put somewhere to block carbon, so yes in the air, and i want to see if its possible to trap carbon molecules as well as oxygen so for CO2.

you want to trap oxygen and carbon and CO2 or just CO2? there is a difference, carbon and oxygen are elements CO2 is a compound of carbon and oxygen. There are membranes of types that can be used to filter out different sized molecules but Im still going to need more information..

well accually just carbon from CO2 so theres only oxygen left.

well accually just carbon from CO2 so theres only oxygen left.

Well... I know that astronauts use Lithium Hydroxide to filter CO2. CO2 reacts with the Lithium Hydroxide and Lithium Carbonate + water is produced...

Now, that won't get you oxygen, but it's a start.

I'm not sure what compound you could use to gain pure O2 from CO2. I'll try to do some more research.

I dont know if there is a chemical process that will turn CO2 to just O2, because O2 has a fair bit of energy bound up in it, and our bodies release that and the result is it ends up in the lower energy state of CO2.. so I dont think it would be easily seperated chemically, but there may be a way with energy of some kind.. ;)