Science Forums

Origin of the Universe,,,,Bang or no Bang

Harry Costas

Maybe they have it right but if they do that must mean that they know the rate at which the universe is expanding. I think space is expanding at C.

Here's a nice wiki that explains it all quite well.

The metric expansion leads naturally to recession speeds which exceed the "speed of light" c and to distances which exceed c times the age of the universe, which is a frequent source of confusion among amateurs and even professional physicists.[1] The speed c has no special significance at cosmological scales.

Metric expansion of space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

G'day from the land of ozzz

Yes I know of the baloon and the bread.

Your logic assumes spacetime expansion and not actual metric length.

If by "metric length" you mean measured distance then I disagree. Spacetime expansion is an increase in measured distance everywhere on the metric. Freeztar's link in the previous post explains.

Show me that spcae bodies are expanding from various points throughout the known universe.

I cannot take you somewhere else in the universe and show you. This is beyond humanity's capability for the time being. But, why do you ask? Are you honestly suggesting that earth occupies a privileged place in the universe such as being at its center? This is not the case according to the cosmological principle which is a basic tenet of the big bang theory.

Close-up view of Einstein Cross

Macro and microlensing, coupled with the giant eye of the European Southern Observatory's Very Large Telescope, enabled astronomers to probe regions on scales as small as a millionth of an arcsecond.

Provided by ESO, Garching, Germany

Astronomy.com - Close-up view of Einstein Cross

The team of astronomers from Europe and the United States studied the "Einstein Cross," a famous cosmic mirage. This cross-shaped configuration consists of four images of a distant source. The multiple images are a result of gravitational lensing by a foreground galaxy, an effect that was predicted by Albert Einstein as a consequence of his theory of general relativity. The light source in the Einstein Cross is a quasar approximately 10 billion light-years away, whereas the foreground-lensing galaxy is 10 times closer. The lensing galaxy's gravitational field bends and magnifies the quasar's light.

This magnification effect, known as "microlensing," in which a galaxy plays the role of a cosmic magnifying glass or a natural telescope, proves useful in astronomy as it allows us to observe distant objects that would otherwise be too faint to explore using currently available telescopes. "The combination of this natural magnification with the use of a big telescope provides us with the sharpest details ever obtained," said Frederic Courbin, leader of the program studying the Einstein Cross with ESO's VLT

It is the intrinsic properties that are not fully understood that may give error to redshift data.

The link and quote you just posted describes a gravitational lens which is understood in (and was predicted by) general relativity—the same theory that gives us the big bang.

The Great Escape: Scientists Detect Black Hole Slowing Flight of Light

By SPACE.com Staff

SPACE.com -- The Great Escape: Scientists Detect Black Hole Slowing Flight of Light

Astronomers have watched a black hole drag on light trying to escape its surroundings, causing the light to lose energy just as Einstein predicted in his theory of general relativity.

With all the science that we know people except the redshift data without quation.

I maybe wrong.

Again, you post a link and quote of an observation (light travel time delay) that agrees with (and was predicted by) general relativity, the same theory that gives us the big bang.

These observations are completely consistent with (and indeed support the case for) the reality of expansion.

~modest

G'day from the land of ozzzzzzz

Hello Modest, you said

I cannot take you somewhere else in the universe and show you. This is beyond humanity's capability for the time being. But, why do you ask? Are you honestly suggesting that earth occupies a privileged place in the universe such as being at its center? This is not the case according to the cosmological principle which is a basic tenet of the big bang theory.

Your right, but! there are plenty of images that indicate clustering and not expansion.

Think of it this way. If the universe originated 13.7 Gyrs. Why should there be clustering,if there is acceleration of expansion.

Also I did not say that Earth is at the centre of the universe, in no way.

The links that I posted are just to indicte the presence of intrinsic properties altering the light properties.

Any person can support an existing main stream theory, it takes energy to go up stream.

As soon as I finish my reading, I will down load the information on intrinsic properties. This will take another 6 months.

[0806.0454] Ultra High Energy Cosmic Rays from decays of Holeums in Galactic Halos

Ultra High Energy Cosmic Rays from decays of Holeums in Galactic Halos

Authors: Abhijit L.Chavda, L.K.Chavda

(Submitted on 3 Jun 2008)

Abstract: Stable, quantized gravitational bound states of primordial black holes called Holeums could have been produced in the early universe and could be a component of the Super Heavy Dark Matter (SHDM) present in galactic halos. We show that Holeums of masses of the order of 10**13 to 10**14 GeV and above are stable enough to survive in the present-day universe. We identify such Holeums as promising candidates for the SHDM "X-particle" and show that the decay of such Holeums by pressure ionization can give rise to cosmic rays of all observed energies, including Ultra High Energy Cosmic Rays (UHECR). The absence of the GZK cut-off is explained by the galactic halo origin of the UHECR. We predict that the cosmic rays are a manifestation of the end-stage Hawking radiation burst of the primordial black holes (PBH) liberated by the ionization of Holeums. Antimatter detected in cosmic rays could be a signature of their Holeum origin.

and this is quite interesting.

[gr-qc/0309044] Holeum,enigmas of cosmology and gravitational waves

Holeum,enigmas of cosmology and gravitational waves

Authors: L.K.Chavda, Abhijit L.Chavda

(Submitted on 8 Sep 2003 (v1), last revised 24 Jun 2004 (this version, v3))

Abstract: The principle of nuclear democracy is invoked to prove the formation of stable quantized gravitational bound states of primordial black holes called Holeums. The latter come in four varieties: ordinary Holeums H, Black Holeums BH, Hyper Holeums HH and the massless Lux Holeums LH.These Holeums are invisible because the gravitational radiation emitted by their quantum transitions is undetectable now. The copiously produced Holeums form an important component of the dark matter and the Lux Holeums an important component of the dark energy in the universe. A segregation property puts the Holeums mainly in the galactic haloes (GH) and the domain walls (DW) explaining the latters' invisibility now. Cosmic rays (CR) are produced by two exploding black holes created in a pressure-ionization of a stable Holeum. Our prediction that more CRs will be emitted by the haloes than by the discs of galaxies already has a strong empirical support. The concentration of the Hs and the HHs in the GHs and the DWs lead to the formation of Holeum-stars emitting the CRs and the gravitational waves(GW).Innumerable explosions of BHs at the time of decoupling of gravity from the other interactions lead to inflation and baryon asymmetry. A substantial cosmic back ground of matter and GWs and an infra-quantum gravity (infra-QG) band and an ultra-QG band of GWs and their emission frequencies are predicted. A unique quantum system containing matter-energy oscillations is found.

The only part that I disagree with is the BBT origin.

Compact matter in varies forms and sizes can form now. From Neutron to various composite quark matter to Neutrino and preon particles and various combinations.

Your right, but! there are plenty of images that indicate clustering and not expansion.

Once again, you present clustering and expansion as an either / or situation. This is not the case. Galaxy groups, clusters and superclusters represent the most local gravitational interactions between galaxies. Here in the milky way, for example, we can see the Andromeda galaxy (which is in our local group of about 30 galaxies) is heading straight for us. It's not expanding away from us. But, this doesn't mean the universe isn't expanding.

Galaxies that are close to one another can affect each other gravitationally forming clusters even while the rest of the universe expands away from such a cluster. Not only is this logical and possible, it's exactly what astronomers see happening through their telescopes.

Think of it this way. If the universe originated 13.7 Gyrs. Why should there be clustering,if there is acceleration of expansion.

Think of the universe as a very small, hot, dense place that expands to a large, cold, not-dense place. An analogy would the the piston of a car. There is an explosion in the piston which causes a hot, dense, and highly-compressed gas. The piston expands and the gas is allowed to leave the piston. Water vapor condenses from the gas and turns to water droplets then full sized drops of water. By the time the gas exits the exhaust pipe the homogeneous gas in the piston has turned into an un-homogeneous mix of steam and water dripping onto the pavement.

Things can condense out of an expanding gas. Galaxies can condense out of an expanding universe. The galaxies then interact with one another gravitationally forming clusters. None of this is inconsistent with the big bang theory.

~modest

G'day from the land of ozzzzzzz

Modest I'm fully awear of the BBT, Redshift and expansion and their problems.

Knowing that I try to look at the reality of what is actually going on.

This picture, image of:

http://www.universetoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/2007-1217jet.jpg

Paints a 1000 words.

December 17th, 2007

Galactic Black Hole Fires a Jet at a Nearby Neighbour

Galactic Black Hole Fires a Jet at a Nearby Neighbour | Universe Today

The black hole in the larger galaxy is actively feeding, and has an enormous jet of radiation and material blasting out into space. Unfortunately, the smaller galaxy has gotten caught right in the crossfire of this jet.

"We've seen many jets produced by black holes, but this is the first time we've seen one punch into another galaxy like we're seeing here," said Dan Evans, a scientist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics and leader of the study. "This jet could be causing all sorts of problems for the smaller galaxy it is pummeling."

THis system is actively contracting and expanding at the same time. This process is responsible for the recycling process and reforming galaxy form.

Fantastic picture, Pluto. Relativistic Jets certainly are a great area of interest for astronomy.

Why do you suppose galaxies that are far away from us are so much more likely to have active galactic nuclei and jets than galaxies that are close to us? This certainly means that far away galaxies are different from nearby galaxies, have you considered why that is the case?

~modest

Fantastic picture, Pluto. Relativistic Jets certainly are a great area of interest for astronomy.

Why do you suppose galaxies that are far away from us are so much more likely to have active galactic nuclei and jets than galaxies that are close to us? This certainly means that far away galaxies are different from nearby galaxies, have you considered why that is the case?

~modest

I don't know if this is true or not, but I've considered that the light we see from the most distant galaxies is revealing a view of the early stages of galaxy formation since they represent the oldest obects we can see. Essentially a primordial view when there was a lot of activity with the central supermassive black hole consuming matter and gaining mass that is a natural part of galaxy development before they mature and stabilize. During these active periods early on, there was tremendous amounts of energy being released. Closer in galaxies would appear more recent in their development and therefore more mature and stable.

I've wondered if the Milky Way as well went through a similar active period in it's early development. I would think it would had to have considering how massive the black hole is at the center.

Just a thought.

You're spot on Reason :)

As Pluto thinks a universe that constantly recycles itself is most likely, there would be no evolving trend from young to mature galaxies. There would be no reason for galaxies 10 billion years ago to frequently have very active galactic nuclei while mature galaxies today rarely do. Given this, I wonder what explanation could be given for this observation other than an aging and rather young universe. I can't think of one.

More interesting is the study of the evolution of the AGN population. Most luminous classes of AGN (radio-loud and radio-quiet) seem to have been much more numerous in the early universe. This suggests (1) that massive black holes formed early on and (2) that the conditions for the formation of luminous AGN were more readily available in the early universe -- for example, that there was a much higher availability of cold gas near the centre of galaxies than there is now. It also implies, of course, that many objects that were once luminous quasars are now much less luminous, or entirely quiescent.

Active galactic nucleus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

~modest

G'day from the land of ozzzzz

Modest said

As Pluto thinks a universe that constantly recycles itself is most likely, there would be no evolving trend from young to mature galaxies. There would be no reason for galaxies 10 billion years ago to frequently have very active galactic nuclei while mature galaxies today rarely do. Given this, I wonder what explanation could be given for this observation other than an aging and rather young universe. I can't think of one.

Please if you wish to draw conclusions do not use the name Pluto out of context.

Your logic is not very scientific, it lacks understanding of the processes of star formation and galaxy evolution.

A cycling universe would not need any ad hoc ideas and can explain the oberservable universe to the T.

You need to research star and galaxy evolution to understand the recycling process.

The evolution of so called black holes from stellar size to monster size and their activity is extremely complicated.

Do I understand the complete process not yet, do others I do not think so. There are various papers on the cyclic universe written by well known scientists.

I just finished reading this paper to try to understand what and where all the matter is. Its not the total answer and I would think we are several years away from that.

[0805.1905] Dark matter and the LHC

Dark matter and the LHC

Authors: Howard Baer, Xerxes Tata

(Submitted on 13 May 2008 (v1), last revised 29 May 2008 (this version, v2))

Abstract: An abundance of astrophysical evidence indicates that the bulk of matter in the universe is made up of massive, electrically neutral particles that form the dark matter (DM). While the density of DM has been precisely measured, the identity of the DM particle (or particles) is a complete mystery. In fact, within the laws of physics as we know them (the Standard Model, or SM), none of the particles have the right properties to make up DM. Remarkably, many new physics extensions of the SM -- designed to address theoretical issues with the electroweak symmetry breaking sector -- require the introduction of new particles, some of which are excellent DM candidates. As the LHC era begins, there are high hopes that DM particles, along with their associated new matter states, will be produced in pp collisions. We discuss how LHC experiments, along with other DM searches, may serve to determine the identity of DM particles and elucidate the associated physics. Most of our discussion centers around theories with weak-scale supersymmetry, and allows for several different DM candidate particles.

G'day from the land of ozzzzzz

This paper is for the BBT people.

[0804.4156] Resolving the Formation of Protogalaxies

Resolving the Formation of Protogalaxies

Authors: John H. Wise (NASA/GSFC)

(Submitted on 25 Apr 2008)

Abstract: Cosmic structure originated from minute density perturbations in an almost homogeneous universe. The first stars are believed to be very massive and luminous, providing the first ionizing radiation and heavy elements to the universe and forming 100 million years after the Big Bang. The impact from primordial stellar radiation is far reaching and affects subsequent star and galaxy formation. In this thesis, we present results from adaptive mesh refinement calculations of the formation of the first galaxies. We gradually introduce important physical processes, such as molecular hydrogen cooling and stellar feedback, to base models that only consider atomic hydrogen and helium cooling. In these base models, we find that gas in dark matter halos with masses ~10^8 solar masses centrally collapse before multiple fragmentation occurs in a global disc. We then investigate the importance of molecular hydrogen cooling in early structure formation in the presence of a soft ultraviolet radiation background. We find that molecular hydrogen plays an important role in star formation in halos well below a virial temperature of 10,000 K even in the most extreme assumptions of negative radiative feedback. We also present results from the first radiation hydrodynamics calculations of early dwarf galaxy formation. We develop a novel technique, adaptive ray tracing, to accurately transport radiation from primordial stars. We find primordial stellar feedback alters the landscape of early galaxy formation in that its angular momentum is increased and baryon fractions are decreased. We also describe the metal enrichment of the intergalactic medium and early dwarf galaxies. Finally we explore cosmological reionization by these massive, metal-free stars and its effects on star formation in early galaxies.

The question that many ask is:

What form did matter have before this phase and what was before that?

G'day

I should have added this link before

Was There A Big Bang?

http://arxiv.org/abs/0803.3604

Authors: Robert K. Soberman, Maurice Dubin

(Submitted on 25 Mar 2008)

Abstract: The big bang hypothesis is widely accepted despite numerous physics conflicts. It rests upon two experimental supports, galactic red shift and the cosmic microwave background. Both are produced by dark matter, shown here to be hydrogen dominated aggregates with a few percent of helium nodules. Scattering from these non-radiating intergalactic masses produce a red shift that normally correlates with distance. Warmed by our galaxy to an Eigenvalue of 2.735 K, drawn near the Earth, these bodies, kept cold by ablation, resonance radiate the Planckian microwave signal. Several tests are proposed that will distinguish between this model and the big bang.

Conclusions

It should come as no surprise to the astronomical community that the universe is

composed overwhelmingly of hydrogen. The remaining few percent is dominated by helium.

For three quarters of a century most of this mass remained cloaked in darkness despite numerous

clues to its existence.

The two experimental pillars (red-shift and microwave radiation) on which the big bang

rests are shown as consequences of dark matter (cosmoids) in intergalactic, interstellar, solar

system and near Earth space. The galactic red-shift results from Mie scatter of transiting

intergalactic photons and the microwave foreground radiation from solar heated cosmoids

resonance radiating a Planck Eigenvalue set by helium nodules. The micro-Kelvin variants are

consequences of interactions with our Milky Way Galaxy.

The import of the “big bang” is apparent in the 2006 Nobel physics prize awards to J. C.

Mather and G. F. Smoot. Questioning that hypothesis requires, like any worthwhile physical

model, tests that can distinguish between the opposing concepts. Several tests are proposed, the

results of which, we predict, will contradict big bang assumptions. Foremost a mixture of

hydrogen with a small amount of helium should be cooled to establish that an Eigenvalue plateau

exists at 2.735 K. An examination of the intensity of type 1A supernovae radiation versus red

shift derived distances will show a small discrepancy from inverse square variance. A microwave

receiver aboard an interplanetary spacecraft, beyond 3.5 AU, aimed away from the Sun will hear

barely a whisper of the background radiation. Another test involves measuring the red shift

produced by the dark matter (cosmoids) lying within one AU of the Sun. If an astronomical

source is observed twice, near six months apart, almost 90o from the direction of the Earth’s

motion, such that the distance difference incorporates a major chord through the Earth’s orbital

plane, a measurable red shift will be observed.

What do you mean by "cycling universe"? Please explain.
There are various papers on the cyclic universe written by well known scientists.
Pluto, can you provide references, or better, links to some of these papers? This would, I think, help answer modest’s question, a question many of us have.

For me, the phrase “cycling universe” brings to mind the oscillatory universe model, a very old (1777) model that predates all but the earliest scientific understandings of the existence of galaxies and other large-scale cosmic structures, or the term Cyclic model, a modern one referring to a broad collection of theories of cosmology in which many big bangs and “big crunches” occur in cycles, including brane theoretical models, and fringy ones such as Peter Lynds “time reversal” model (A description of Lynd can be found in this 6/2005 Wired article, his personal webpage, here).

[0804.4156] Resolving the Formation of Protogalaxies

Authors: John H. Wise (NASA/GSFC)

(Submitted on 25 Apr 2008)

The question that many ask is:

What form did matter have before this phase and what was before that?

Wise describes, in the conventional terminology of according to the big bang model, the early universe between the “recombination era”, in which space became transparent, and the “reionization era”, in which the first stars appeared, a period known as the “dark ages”. According to this model, this period occurs between about 250,000 to and 150,000,000 years after the Big Bang, during which time the universe was a nearly homogenous cloud of non-ionized hydrogen (~75%), helium (~25%), and traces of atoms as heavy as beryllium. This is described in many texts, including the wikipedia article “timeline of the Big Bang”.

Many cosmologists have considered the question of how this nearly homogenous gas “clumped” to form the first stars. Wise’s paper appears to be addressing not this question, but the effects of these first stars on the formation of the next generations of stars and larger scale structures such as galaxies.

G'day from the land of ozzzzz

One needs to understand star formation and the cyclic process and galaxy evolution and the cyclic process that takes place in reforming galaxy structure.

What part of {star formation and rejuvination, formation of Neutron star, exotic stars and stellar black holes, the eventual destination by the Nucleon (BH) at the centre of a galaxy and the formation of jets that eject matter and reform the structure of Galaxies by these active Nucleons (BHs)} do you not understand as being part of a cyclic process.

There are various cyclic theories as CraigD stated.

and

A Recycled Universe: Scientific American

A Recycled Universe

Crashing branes and cosmic acceleration may power an infinite cycle in which our universe is but a phase

By*George Musser*and*JR Minkel

A UNIVERSAL CYCLE of birth and rebirth occurs every trillion years or so, according to one new cosmology. Big bangs result when two 10-dimensional "branes" collide (1) and expand (2) and then collide again (4). In this scenario, our universe (3) marks just one phase in this infinite cycle.

Steinhardt

Paul J. Steinhardt

Department of Physics Princeton University

'Cyclic universe' can explain cosmological constant

'Cyclic universe' can explain cosmological constant - space - 04 May 2006 - New Scientist

4/05/2006 19:00

NewScientist.com news service

Zeeya Merali

http://www.ias.ac.in/jaa/junsep2007/JAA521.pdf

J. Astrophys. Astr. (2007) 28, 67–99

Cosmology and Cosmogony in a Cyclic Universe

Jayant V. Narlikar1,∗, Geoffrey Burbidge2 & R. G. Vishwakarma3

Abstract. In this paper we discuss the properties of the quasi-steady state

cosmological model (QSSC) developed in 1993 in its role as a cyclic model

of the universe driven by a negative energy scalar field. We discuss the

origin of such a scalar field in the primary creation process first described

by F. Hoyle & J. V. Narlikar forty years ago. It is shown that the creation

processes which take place in the nuclei of galaxies are closely linked to

the high energy and explosive phenomena, which are commonly observed

in galaxies at all redshifts.

The cyclic nature of the universe provides a natural link between the

places of origin of the microwave background radiation (arising in hydrogen

burning in stars), and the origin of the lightest nuclei (H, D, He3 and

He4). It also allows us to relate the large scale cyclic properties of the universe

to events taking place in the nuclei of galaxies. Observational evidence

shows that ejection of matter and energy from these centers in the

form of compact objects, gas and relativistic particles is responsible for the

population of quasi-stellar objects (QSOs) and gamma-ray burst sources

in the universe.

In the later parts of the paper we briefly discuss the major unsolved

problems of this integrated cosmological and cosmogonical scheme – the

understanding of the origin of the intrinsic redshifts, and the periodicities

in the redshift distribution of the QSOs.

=================================================

"The cyclic universe model is a simple mechanism for solving the cosmological constant problem" - Scitizen

"The cyclic universe model is a simple mechanism for solving the cosmological constant problem"

=================================================

The Cyclic Universe

by WARDELL LINDSAY

The Cyclic Universe by WARDELL LINDSAY (Book) in Medicine & Science

The Universe is in Cyclic Equilibrium with the Gravitational CentriPetal forces balanced by the CentriFugal forces of moving masses.The Potential real energy and the Vector energy create an oscillation between the two energies to keep the Universe oscillating via conservation of energy. The cycle time is 16.5 Billion years. The mass and radius of the universe are related to the Gravitational Constant and the speed of light. Theses constants are important in determining the ratio of the mass and radius of the Universe. Electricity also plays a role in configurations. Electricity plays the same role as Gravity as a Potential energy center.

Loop Quantum Gravity and the Cyclic Universe

[hep-th/0407115] Loop Quantum Gravity and the Cyclic Universe

Authors: Martin Bojowald, Roy Maartens, Parampreet Singh

(Submitted on 14 Jul 2004 (v1), last revised 23 Sep 2004 (this version, v2))

Abstract: Loop quantum gravity introduces strong non-perturbative modifications to the dynamical equations in the semi-classical regime, which are responsible for various novel effects, including resolution of the classical singularity in a Friedman universe. Here we investigate the modifications for the case of a cyclic universe potential, assuming that we can apply the four-dimensional loop quantum formalism within the effective four-dimensional theory of the cyclic scenario. We find that loop quantum effects can dramatically alter the near-collision dynamics of the cyclic scenario. In the kinetic-dominated collapse era, the scalar field is effectively frozen by loop quantum friction, so that the branes approach collision and bounce back without actual collision.

Vector Perturbations in a Contracting Universe

[hep-th/0406180] Vector Perturbations in a Contracting Universe

Authors: Thorsten Battefeld, Robert Brandenberger

(Submitted on 21 Jun 2004 (v1), last revised 22 Oct 2004 (this version, v3))

Abstract: In this note we show that vector perturbations exhibit growing mode solutions in a contracting Universe, such as the contracting phase of the Pre Big Bang or the Cyclic/Ekpyrotic models of the Universe. This is not a gauge artifact and will in general lead to the breakdown of perturbation theory -- a severe problem that has to be addressed in any bouncing model. We also comment on the possibility of explaining, by means of primordial vector perturbations, the existence of the observed large scale magnetic fields. This is possible since they can be seeded by vorticity.

Beyond Inflation: A Cyclic Universe Scenario

Authors: Neil Turok, Paul J. Seinhardt

(Submitted on 1 Mar 2004)

[hep-th/0403020] Beyond Inflation: A Cyclic Universe Scenario

====================================================

There are many papers on the cyclic process that may explain the ongoings of the universe. Some involve the BBT others branch out to explain the actual observation of stars and BHs and galaxies in their various cyclic stages.

I tend to support a model that is supported by observations.

When I have time, i will present this better.

What part of {star formation and rejuvination, formation of Neutron star, exotic stars and stellar black holes, the eventual destination by the Nucleon (BH) at the centre of a galaxy and the formation of jets that eject matter and reform the structure of Galaxies by these active Nucleons (BHs)} do you not understand as being part of a cyclic process.

Hey Pluto.

A cyclic process is understood to be the alternating expansion and contraction of the universe as a whole. The links you offer all discuss a "cyclic universe" from this standpoint. There are alternating cosmological periods of expanding and contracting space. I am not opposed to this idea in theory nor would I be opposed to relating such a process to QSOs, relativistic jets, and active galactic nuclei like the paper on QSSC which you link tries to do.

But, you seem to reject the idea of expanding space or an expanding and evolving universe while you link and support theories of a cyclic universe. These two things appear to be mutually exclusive.

Would you agree with the links you post that the universe is expanding?

~modest

G'day from the land of ozzzzzz

I'm trying to understand the working parts of the universe.

As for the BBT and expansion of the universe. I do not agree with it, the evidence is not concrete enough to suggest that they are on strong foundations.

At this moment Dark matter is the reading that my mentor has given me to read. It will take months.

As for expansion and contraction, we observe it as a process in the working parts of the universe, but! not as a total unit that dances to the same tune.

Modest, I'm not a smart cookie. Its going to take me years to understand. So my mind is open for more input.

I thank you for your kind discussion and your time.

I wish you all a Very Merry Xmas and a happy new year

G'day from the land of oz

The following ABS describes what I mean.

[0809.5171] Evidence for powerful AGN winds at high redshift: Dynamics of galactic outflows in radio galaxies during the "Quasar Era"

Evidence for powerful AGN winds at high redshift: Dynamics of galactic outflows in radio galaxies during the "Quasar Era"

Authors: N.P.H. Nesvadba, M.D. Lehnert, C. De Breuck, A.M.Gilbert, W. van Breugel

(Submitted on 30 Sep 2008 (v1), last revised 13 Oct 2008 (this version, v2))

Abstract: AGN feedback now appears as an attractive mechanism to resolve some of the outstanding problems with the "standard" cosmological models, in particular those related to massive galaxies. To directly constrain how this may influence the formation of massive galaxies near the peak in the redshift distribution of powerful quasars, z~2, we present an analysis of the emission-line kinematics of 3 powerful radio galaxies at z~2-3 (HzRGs) based on rest-frame optical integral-field spectroscopy obtained with SINFONI on the VLT. HzRGs are among the most massive galaxies, so AGN feedback may have a particularly clear signature. We find evidence for bipolar outflows in all HzRGs, with kinetic energies that are equivalent to 0.2% of the rest-mass of the supermassive black hole. Velocity offsets in the outflows are ~800-1000 km s^-1 between the blueshifted and redshifted line emission, FWHMs ~1000 km s^-1 suggest strong turbulence. Ionized gas masses estimated from the Ha luminosity are of order 10^10 M_s, similar to the molecular gas content of HzRGs, underlining that these outflows may indicate a significant phase in the evolution of the host galaxy. The total energy release of ~10^60 erg during a dynamical time of ~10^7 yrs corresponds to about the binding energy of a massive galaxy. Geometry, timescales and energy injection rates of order 10% of the kinetic energy flux of the jet suggest that the outflows are most likely driven by the radio source. The global energy density release of ~10^57 erg s^-1 Mpc^-3 may also influence the subsequent evolution of the HzRG by enhancing the entropy and pressure in the surrounding halo and facilitating ram-pressure stripping of gas in satellite galaxies that may contribute to the subsequent mass assembly of the HzRG through low-dissipation "dry" mergers.