Science Forums

Taiwan and China.

Ganoderma

Where I am from we always call others "english, french, chinese" etc even though we are all canadian. i am 15th gen canadian but i am still called french. but ya, you're right they are Taiwanese (if you ask china, they are Chinese). I am curious what the people of Japan think about it after they have left fairly recently and have also, relatively, recently made peace with china.

• 2 weeks later...

So. Taiwan was rejected by the UN again...This time by Uganda I think. No surprise, the politics here has gone to "hell in a hand basket" as my mother used to say. After the likely cause of bad relations with China I am curious as to what reasons these nations have against allowing Taiwan to be an independent nation. This is in every respect a matter of freedom.

Surely Taiwan has more in the way of human rights, freedom of speech, and defiantly more peaceful and business oriented than such members as:

Israel, Lebanon, Malaysia, Rwanda, south Africa, Angola among many others.

I suppose the only reason these countries will vote against Taiwan joining the UN is that behind the scenes China said "Okay, listen up, guys - we will invest x amount of dollars in your countries, but then you have to do the following:"

And included in the list, of course, if the tiny detail of severing ties with Taiwan and voting against their joining the UN.

Interesting how money comes before morality when we're talking international politics.