Science Forums

Sasquach; Where Legend Meets Science

Dabo

I once saw a documentary about crop circles in which this perfectly ordinary bloke and his side kick (responsible for making crop circles with their home made 'stomper' device) were charged with the challenge of demonstrating beyond a shadow of a doubt that they could convincingly fake a crop cirlce over night. They did so working methodically and tirelessly and produced an impressive, complex and familiar pattern in the corn, a typical crop circle. They showed how they used a rope to make perfect circles, how they entered and exited without detection and without leaving a trace amongst other secrets of their trade. It was all surprisingly simple.

Scientific 'experts' were then brought in. They were told that the circle had appeared overnight and that it was not possible to determine how. They were then asked to cast a very critical eye over it and to give an overview of what they thought had caused it. They were also asked whether they thought it could have been faked by any method. They took measurements, number crunched, studied breaks in the corn, the patterns of the flattening of the corn, directions and studied the wider site for evidence of recent human activity etc., and appeared to take their task very seriously. They then drew up their conclusions. The consensus given was that the circle defied reasonable explanation and could not have been produced by hoaxers. Reasons were given as to why this was the case and convincing evidence based comments and observations were provided to support this. I found it painful to watch and was extremely embarrassed for them.

Ever since then I have lost my faith....... Obvioulsy I don't know enough about the sasquatch to make a determination in that specific case, but when you've got hoaxers at large seemingly able and motivated to use their ingenuity to produce a range of impressive results, and examples of where 'experts' have been so easily duped by such attempts it creates tremendous problems.

"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and annoys the pig."

I once saw a documentary about crop circles...

Ever since then I have lost my faith....... Obvioulsy I don't know enough about the sasquatch to make a determination in that specific case, but when you've got hoaxers at large seemingly able and motivated to use their ingenuity to produce a range of impressive results, and examples of where 'experts' have been so easily duped by such attempts it creates tremendous problems.

I saw the same show, albeit I missed the opportunity to place it in the context of this Sasquatch footprint venue. Well enough that you have and I must say this implies a rather large group of talented and enthusiastic hoaxters. ( or maybe a bakers dozen only?:hihi: )

In any case, my 'faith' lies only in that there is a mystery as to the origins and continuing stories of large bi-pedal hairy creatures in North America. :doh:

Thank you for your comments :doh: . The trouble with these damn varmit hoaxers is that they appear to get a real kick out of it and I reckon they are very active and possibly organised in to networks or groups. I bet they spend every spare moment dreaming up and implementing new and inventive ways of pulling off their scams and watching all of the drama that follows - having a good old belly laugh. I guess there is something both intellectually challenging and creative in trying to pit your wits, intelligence and ingenuity against others, particularly those who claim to have 'expertise' - and perhaps there is something purposeful and helpful to the scientific contingent as well as people in general in hoaxers showing that 'experts' can be duped - but you have to admit, they are a real pain in the butt. :hihi:

Thank you for your comments :doh: . The trouble with these damn varmit hoaxers is that they appear to get a real kick out of it and I reckon they are very active and possibly organised in to networks or groups.

No less a hunt then; we just start hunting Sasquatch hoaxers! Same trip to the woods, same jolly time, same cryptid-catching equipment, and plenty of time & comradery to enjoy annoying a singing pig. :hihi:

My goodness Turtle, you're right! - how bizarre..., there's virtually no difference - and they are just as elusive and cunning as the beast itself - what are we waiting for?

I'll bring the coffee, you bring the pig :hihi:

Stand by.....:shrug:

Still standing by. I am hoping to continue the discussion focusing on the things that are difficult to explain. I am curious about the origin of the twistoffs for instance. It would also be fun to talk about some the of the scientific method that goes into the analysis of evidence, such as the dermal ridge analysis of the footprints.

The site also challenges anyone to actually fake footprints with the depth and stride length typically recorded. I think that would prove to be a great experiment.

Turtle, instead of looking for hoaxers, can one of the expeditions focus on the feasibility of hoaxing?

Fiona, welcome to Hypography!

Bill

Hello Bill and thank you for the welcome:)

Experiments in to the extent to which evidence could be falsified would be fascinating and would have scientific merit. My hunch is that with the right knowledge, resources, persistence and creativity most things can be reproduced in such a way that they appear to be authentic.

This said, you were correct in raising the necessity to learn more about the methods of scientific scrutiny certain pieces of evidence in the sasqatch story have been subject to.

• 1 month later...

Mmmmm....looks like Meldrum's work is causing some embarrassment for a few I-da-ho profs! ;)

POCATELLO, Idaho (AP) -- Jeffrey Meldrum holds a Ph.D. in anatomical sciences and is a tenured professor of anatomy at Idaho State University. He is also one of the world's foremost authorities on Bigfoot, the mythical smelly ape-man of the Northwest woods. And Meldrum firmly believes the lumbering, shaggy brute exists.

That makes him an outcast - a solitary, Sasquatch-like figure himself - on the 12,700-student campus, where many scientists are embarrassed by what they call Meldrum's "pseudo-academic" pursuits and have called on the university to review his work with an eye toward revoking his tenure. One physics professor, D.P. Wells, wonders whether Meldrum plans to research Santa Claus, too.

http://ap.kgw.com/dynamic/stories/P/PROFESSOR_BIGFOOT?SITE=KGW&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=US-WORLD.html&CTIME=2006-11-03-17-36-54

In any case, my 'faith' lies only in that there is a mystery as to the origins and continuing stories of large bi-pedal hairy creatures in North America. ;)

Mine too Sir Turtle. To those that would summarily blow it off as just a myth I'd say this: What ever the reason, there is a mystery and sticking our heads in the sand will shead absolutey no light on it whatsoever. Wether it's just an illusion or an as yet undiscovered speices, chastising those looking for answers is not at all scientific. And what if a new creature is discovered? There will be plenty of egg for facial application to go around............Infy