Science Forums

Grinding teeth

Queso

I used to be the kid that felt lucky he didn't grind his teeth at night.

Now, every time I wake up be it morning or night, I find my cheeks in my teeth

and my jaw is soar from what feels like pressing my teeth together all night.

I won't ask why I do this,

my question is

How do I stop?

I don't realize I'm doing it until I start to chew.

Interesting...

I do try yoga, even developed my own form of it over time...

though Lately I havn't been practicing enough

Thanks for the motivation.

And ever since climbing that mountain and I saw the pacific I've wantd to learn tai chi severely..

... Or get a bite guard. Best to have dentist form one to the contours of your mouth, but with money tight, a cheapy one from the drug store will temporarily relieve things.

I would try this but I just Know I wouldn't be able to sleep with a peice of something in my mouth.

I wish I could chew gum in my sleep without choking to death.

Now, every time I wake up be it morning or night, I find my cheeks in my teeth and my jaw is soar from what feels like pressing my teeth together all night.

I won't ask why I do this,

my question is

How do I stop?

There are a lot of conditions that have teeth-grinding as a symptom. Why it’s happening can be important in figure out how to make it stop.

A lot of licit and illicit drugs cause tooth grinding. (The purpose of the children’s pacifiers you see some club-goers wearing from pendants is to prevent the typically intense tooth-grinding caused by MDMA (“Ecstasy”)) If you’re using anything like this, you might want to stop, or consider using small doses of muscle relaxants such as Diazepam (Valium) to counter this potentially tooth-damaging side effect.

A qualified clinician (MD, nurse, etc) can be a lot of help.

It can also be caused by psychological factors. Meditation and relaxation techniques can fix those.

It’s unusual, but bad diet can cause muscle tension and tooth-grinding, so make sure to eat a well balanced diet, especially including enough fluids and electrolytes (potassium and sodium).