Science Forums

Formula to find the length of a parabola line

I have been been searching for a while before I desided to ask this. searching google and text books with not any good answers yet.

In ploting out the parabolas I have been using the formula

x^2 = 4py p = focal point

how do I calc the length of a parabolic line.

I did it the low tech way and graph'd it on paper then used a string to measure the lenght.

I do have an idea how to do it, you measure the distance from each point to point and sum the distances using

d = sqrt ( (x2 - x1)^2 + (y2 - y1)^2 )

is that right? is there a faster, better, cooler way to find the total distance?

Thanks

Tony

I do have an idea how to do it, you measure the distance from each point to point and sum the distances using d = sqrt ( (x2 - x1)^2 + (y2 - y1)^2 )
This is the right idea, except that "point to point" is a bit of a mouthful, to be you need to perform an integral in a suitable manner. If you choose some number n of points along the line you can get an approximation that improves if you add more points. You need especially many points in the less straight parts of the curve. However a parabola is an algebric form so it is easy to work out the integral exactly.

[math]\int dx\;1 = x + c[/math]

[math]\int dx\;x = \frac{1}{2}x^2 + c[/math]

[math]\int dx\;x^2 = \frac{1}{3}x^3 + c[/math]

It agrees with a quick approximation I made, except that it seems to give 2 times the actual arc length, assume the terms “base b” = x, and “height h” = y = [math]k x^2[/math] where [math]k[/math] is an constant, and the parabola passes through (0,0).

PS: The derivation of this formula doesn’t seem too hard (though I’ve not had a chance to get past the first steps).

Height = 100.

Base = 78.5

Length = 266.149445

That’s the same result I get. Note that this must be divided by 2 to give the length of a segment of a parabola between (0,0) and (78.5,100) of about 133.074727. The entire parabola should also pass through (-78.5,100).

So, Give your original formula x^2 =4py, p= x^2/(4y) = 15.405625.

The string-measuring technique you described should give a result close to 133.

You can perform a rough “reality check” on the obtained length value of about 133.074727 by considering that it must be greater than about 127.130838, the distance of a straight line (0,0)-(78.5,100), and 178.5, the sum of length of 2 straight lines (0,0)-(78.5,0) and (78.5,0)-(78.5,100).