Science Forums

Creationism - the great flood

Could human footprints found beside dinosaurian ones, plus tales of the Congo Brontosaur, the Texax Pteradactyl, The Bunyip, Loch Ness Monster and other various lake and sea serpents,dragon legends, plus Yeti and Sasquatch sightings (post diluvian survivors), offer evidence of the great flood being true?

I'm acting as Devils advocate here:evil:

What do any of these things have to do with a flood?

Biblical flood? World began 10,000 years ago, according to Creationists? None of this familiar to you?

Devils advocate - someone who puts forward a viewpoint not necessarily their own.

Hope this clears up any questions you may have, if not I'm away for the next week, so I hope you find someone to answer your questions, even if it's not you!:doh:

No it doesn't you have not explained how the supposed existence of a lochness monster or yeti or anything has anything to do with the Flood of Noah's day.

Not to you anyway - What I'm saying is that 'perhaps' if they exist, then the idea that Dinosaurs survived the flood is to be found in these examples, even if only as racial memories (They may physically exist but are so rare as not to provide convincing evidence because like transient phenomena, we may have experienced something ourselves but have nothing solid in the way of proof to pass onto others). Would give you more of an argument (and may when I get back but as I said I'm off on holidayand my wife is breathing down my neck telling me we're leaving in ten minutes).

Could human footprints found beside dinosaurian ones, plus tales of the Congo Brontosaur, the Texax Pteradactyl, The Bunyip, Loch Ness Monster and other various lake and sea serpents,dragon legends, plus Yeti and Sasquatch sightings (post diluvian survivors), offer evidence of the great flood being true?

I'm acting as Devils advocate here:evil:

The oldest know flood story (written story of any kind) is The Epic of Gilgamesh, wherin Gilgamesh hooks up with a hairy beast-man named Enkidu. In finding you a Wikpedia link, I found they reference a source suggesting the two were homosexuals.

Cooper, Jerrold S. [2002], "Buddies in Babylonia - Gilgamesh, Enkidu and Mesopotamian Homosexuality", in Abusch, Tz (ed.), Riches Hidden in Secret Places - Ancient Near Eastern Studies in Memory of Thorkild Jacobsen, Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns, 2002, pp.73-85.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilgamesh

Furthermore, if you read Joseph Campbells writings on myths (The Power of Myth )you find flood legends abound the world over. Why is this? Because really big floods happen.:kiss:

• 3 months later...
Flood myths could also be relevant for the aquatic ape theory.

'Myths' plural is the key, and I have not read the water monkey story so I won't speculate. However here is the opening of the Gilgamesh story, which is the apparent origin of the wholly bauble Noah version.

Gilgamesh was "the one who saw the abyss. He was wise and knew everything; Gilgamesh, who saw secret things, opened the hidden place(s) and carried back a tale of the time before the Flood -- he traveled the road, he was weary, worn out with labor, and, returning, engraved the story on stone."

When the gods created Gilgamesh, the Great Goddess (Aruru) designed the image of his body; heavenly Shamash, god of the Sun, endowed him with beauty, while Adad, god of the Storm, granted him courage. His form was surpassing: eleven cubits his height, nine spans the breadth of his chest. "Two-thirds of him was divine, one-third human" -- Gilgamesh is essentially spiritual, but not yet fully divinized. (4)

Full text of Epic of Gilgamesh:

http://www.theosophy-nw.org/theosnw/world/mideast/mi-wtst.htm

Humans need water. The planet is full of rivers. Humans made their homes close to rivers in order to have a drink every now and then. Every single river on planet Earth will flood its banks if you wait long enough. Therefore, all cultures with myths and legends, written or spoken, going back hundreds to thousands of years will incorporate stories of how the whole Earth flooded at some stage.

This is not to say that the stories are related, however.

It's a common feature: Rivers flood their banks. Some humans survive to tell the tale. QED.