Science Forums

Almost Scary Experience.

So last night, I decided to try something new. Something crazy, to take a bite out of boredum. I took two things that I had read yesterday, combined them and added a little bit of my own knowledge and ingenuity.

First thing was dreams. I wanted to see if, without the use of drugs, it's possible to have closed eye visuals. Much like a vivid dream, exept awake. Inspired by a us new & world report article about dreams.

Second thing was learning. I wanted to see if the "natural opium" that get's release to the brain upon learning, would help with the visuals. Also, try to see what effects I feel, if any. Inspired by the article here about said subject.

To set up the mood, I turned everything off. Lights, music, and finaly my brain. I sat there "meditating" for a couple minutes untill I was in a more relaxed state. Once in a more proper state I went ahead with the awake dreaming part.

At first I didn't know what to do. Then I just started doing. I put my left hand in, I took my left hand out. I, again, put my left hand in, but this time I shook it all about. :) Not really, but I just stuck my hands out and tried to see them in my brain, without seeing them with my eyes. Not vivid at all, but I could imagine my hands right there in front of me. Then I got the feeling of fear. I can only assume it was related to the fact that I forgot where I was. I illerally felt in a different world at that time. Just playing. In my head. It freaked me the **** out, making me breath deeper. Almost like a nightmare. My only reaction was to close eye scan my room. Remember where everything was; stereo, door, window, walls. I tried to remember everything I could remember. To calm myself down, and feel safe.

I think when I was scanning the window my relaxed state must of flew out. So when I felt alot more safe, I went back to the more relaxing state. It was alot easier this time. Maybe because I knew my surroundings, or maybe because it was the second time. Who knows?

At this point I felt a little head rush. Going from the middle part of the back of my head traveling up to my brain. Yum. Just a little tingly, numbing effect that lasted no more than 5 seconds. I knew I had to move on.

After the little scare, and the little surprise I decided to watch motion. Moving my hands around trying to just see motion for about a minute, then stopped. That was okay, but I had a great idea to see in my mind, then do in reality. I would have my hands as fists, both in reality and in brain. Then in brain my hands would open, very proficantly. Then, in reality they just opened, meh nothing special.

I did the same thing with just one finger. Hand in a fist, then with my index finger, I would point. Mind world would do it without disrupting other fingers. Reality would have my whole hand moving slightly. Grazing another finger or two.

I did that for a couple minutes, walked around the house a little with my eyes closed, then headed to bed. Weird night.

• 4 weeks later...

Talking of this as a related subject, once when I was living by Loch ness in a caravan above Castle Urquhart, I went into a meditative state, staring at the opposite bank. Suddenly the whole scene changed and I was looking at a corrugated face to the rock (inlets and promentories on an equal footing - obviously artificial or strange, if it was natural). What I can say is that it wasn't a physical change but a kind of overlay effect in gold light (not sunlight but the kind of after effect you get when you close your eyes after being out in bright light).:lol:

Paige, all the time eyes closed?

Oh and I got another.

So I was on vacation, crossing up the border over to Canada on a ferry. I was just sitting looking out the foggy, bright window, not moving my eyes, and not blinking them. My eyes started getting used to the light and the bright white fog turned to the more normal blue. Then, still without blinking, the blue background turned to a purplish red color. It was trippy to say the least. I had to just sit there for a bit till my eyes ajusted. That meaning I pulled my hat down, closed my eyes, and saw the outline of what I had been stairing at. The colored faded in and out till it turned too dark to notice the outlines.

Hey, it was a hour and a half ride, and I forgot a book, what else was I to do?

It sounds like that feeling you experienced was the feeling of letting go of the so called system that makes your reality.

It is intensely harsh when you suddenly lose grip like that and almost see yourself, or more like finally see all the mind blowing mystery that lyes beyond the veil of consciousness.

I dont know I never do explain this very well but one can taste infinity and 'out of the program' existence if they want to ahieve it.

It is not crazy, at least not when you have the ability to make it happen like you do to imagine a drawing or something like this.

It sounds like that feeling you experienced was the feeling of letting go of the so called system that makes your reality.

It is intensely harsh when you suddenly lose grip like that and almost see yourself, or more like finally see all the mind blowing mystery that lyes beyond the veil of consciousness.

I dont know I never do explain this very well but one can taste infinity and 'out of the program' existence if they want to ahieve it.

It is not crazy, at least not when you have the ability to make it happen like you do to imagine a drawing or something like this.

Interesting ideas.

Interesting ideas.

indeed, I think I know what your talking about though. Sometimes I get it during intense thinking, my mind gets ahead of itself and then cant keep up and it feels like you almost nearly get a glance at the backside of the universe - infinity

like arkain said, not easy to explain

indeed, I think I know what your talking about though. Sometimes I get it during intense thinking, my mind gets ahead of itself and then cant keep up and it feels like you almost nearly get a glance at the backside of the universe - infinity

like arkain said, not easy to explain

Do you mean when you're about to go to sleep? or just anytime you're thinking really hard?

Reason I ask is, I can remember times when I've been thinking so hard while trying to go to sleep, which doesn't work for the sleeping factor, that I forget everthing around me except my thoughts. A couple of times I've had 1-2 second closed eye visuals that just happen. The two I remember the most would be; a view of my backyard, at night, then all the stars fell (maybe like 9 stars could be seen). Also, a different view of my backyard, and a (I'm guessing) UFO hovering down behind a tree. When I go out into my backyard, in my waken hours, most trees that I remember seeing seem to be in place. Wierd.

One that keeps popping into my head is the visions of stars. There's usually lots more than what can be seen in the sky at night. But, there's nothing special about this one.

Does anyone else have weird happenings before they go to sleep? The feeling of huge objects flying by? The feeling of seeing your legs while they lay there, and they're really long? I got a bunch of wierd ****.

Do you mean when you're about to go to sleep? or just anytime you're thinking really hard?

Reason I ask is, I can remember times when I've been thinking so hard while trying to go to sleep, which doesn't work for the sleeping factor, that I forget everthing around me except my thoughts. A couple of times I've had 1-2 second closed eye visuals that just happen. The two I remember the most would be; a view of my backyard, at night, then all the stars fell (maybe like 9 stars could be seen). Also, a different view of my backyard, and a (I'm guessing) UFO hovering down behind a tree. When I go out into my backyard, in my waken hours, most trees that I remember seeing seem to be in place. Wierd.

One that keeps popping into my head is the visions of stars. There's usually lots more than what can be seen in the sky at night. But, there's nothing special about this one.

Does anyone else have weird happenings before they go to sleep? The feeling of huge objects flying by? The feeling of seeing your legs while they lay there, and they're really long? I got a bunch of wierd ****.

The long legs thing sounds like a typical out of the body experience as it's described. This is where you start seeing your body as alien and separated from your consciousness. I'm wondering if this is behind body dismophism, where somebody sees a limb as being alien to the rest of their body and are not happy until they cut it off. Could it also be behind the idea of possession? Not that I'm saying this is what is really happening physically but literature on these subjects best describe the phenomena.

As for visualising - I do that all the time, whether awake or on the verge of sleep: The question is what we see when we dream, is it always symbolic or real? (Is it always imagination or is it sometimes memory?). But that is another subject and maybe needs to be brought up at the Water Cooler as I don't realistically see it being appropriate for Strange Claims either.:)

The long legs thing sounds like a typical out of the body experience as it's described. This is where you start seeing your body as alien and separated from your consciousness. I'm wondering if this is behind body dismophism, where somebody sees a limb as being alien to the rest of their body and are not happy until they cut it off. Could it also be behind the idea of possession? Not that I'm saying this is what is really happening physically but literature on these subjects best describe the phenomena.

As for visualising - I do that all the time, whether awake or on the verge of sleep: The question is what we see when we dream, is it always symbolic or real? (Is it always imagination or is it sometimes memory?). But that is another subject and maybe needs to be brought up at the Water Cooler as I don't realistically see it being appropriate for Strange Claims either.:hihi:

Out of body experience, that sounds about right. As for cutting of the limbs and possesion, I have no clue what you're saying. People that cut their limbs off during a out of body experience are to be considered possesed? Sounds logical. :)

Dreams are cool, I've dabbled in dream articles but have never gave it too much thought. I even downloaded a 30 minute song, burnt it on a cd and listened to it at night because it was suposed to help me to do some lucid dreaming. Didn't work for me, but I might try some other day. Back to the article thing, I remember hearing about http://www.dreambank.net if you want to check that out.

Out of body experience, that sounds about right. As for cutting of the limbs and possesion, I have no clue what you're saying. People that cut their limbs off during a out of body experience are to be considered possesed? Sounds logical. :lol:

Oi vay! That's not what I meant! Nothing to do with out of body experiences. Maybe you haven't heard about people like this but they have perfectly sound limbs (solid not noisy)that they feel are not part of their body, so they want to chop them off and some people even do: Saw a documentary program about it once - one guy actually laid down on a railway line, so he could get a train to sever his leg!

Thanks for the dream site - may follow that up but not tonight, I've got to get some sleep!

As for visualising - I do that all the time, whether awake or on the verge of sleep: The question is what we see when we dream, is it always symbolic or real? (Is it always imagination or is it sometimes memory?). But that is another subject and maybe needs to be brought up at the Water Cooler as I don't realistically see it being appropriate for Strange Claims either.:cup:

I believe this to be what the early visionaries considered signs of things to come. Often time labling a certain god as the one who showed them. I say this because they happens so fast that you only pick up on what is important to you, and when you explain things they just sound dumb.

For instance one of my first visions was of a couple few, we'll say 9 stars; I'm not sure on the exact number but I like the number 9. Anyway these 9 stars are located in the east, they slowly rise to the north, going higher up than the direction of north, then they fall quickly. They go about the same distance north and the same distance down as they did on their rise.

Now, I'm assuming they are all falling because the sun is about to rise. But, in my vision the sun doesn't rise at all, the only thing that happens is the stars fall.

What does that mean to you?

The problem is I didn't think to count the stars, maybe there's just too many to count. Maybe a rough estimate is good enough to get the message out, but saying 9 then saying; I think, maybe, sure, that works, etc etc show you really don't know what you're doing. When someone doesn't know what they're doing, you don't follow them.

Like right now, I don't know what I'm trying to say, so I'll just end it. Something about listen but know that the speaker had to of improvised on some areas of their story. Just as fiction is based on some fact; fact is based on the justifications of past fictions.

What does that mean to you?

The problem is I didn't think to count the stars, maybe there's just too many to count. Maybe a rough estimate is good enough to get the message out, but saying 9 then saying; I think, maybe, sure, that works, etc etc show you really don't know what you're doing. When someone doesn't know what they're doing, you don't follow them.

Like right now, I don't know what I'm trying to say, so I'll just end it. Something about listen but know that the speaker had to of improvised on some areas of their story. Just as fiction is based on some fact; fact is based on the justifications of past fictions.

Yeh well, I know with me that when I'm tired or don't have enough energy left I slip into a kind of vague, apathetic state (like a battery running down). Being sharp and precise in meaning means, having collected my thoughts and having had enough to eat, drink and sleep (alcohol relaxes me into a somnombulant state too as does too much heat and other factors). It's not that there's anything wrong with this condition, just that it makes communication difficult if you're not strongly present.

Yeh well, I know with me that when I'm tired or don't have enough energy left I slip into a kind of vague, apathetic state (like a battery running down). Being sharp and precise in meaning means, having collected my thoughts and having had enough to eat, drink and sleep (alcohol relaxes me into a somnombulant state too as does too much heat and other factors). It's not that there's anything wrong with this condition, just that it makes communication difficult if you're not strongly present.

I can vaguly remember having a sort of adrenaline rush, that would wake me. I might have to look into what happens when you have an "adrenaline" rush consists of. :hyper: Could this be considered EXTREME resting?