Science Forums

Right angled triangle combinations(3,4,5....)

Roadam

I don't know what Fuller says about them, but in differential geometry it is a curve such that parallel transport along it brings the tangent vector at the initial point onto the tangent vector at the final point, for any pair of points. It can also be described more simply as giving the briefest path between any two of its points.

On a sphere a right triangle can be 1,1,1 with three right angles.

Maybe so, but again, we are not living in a 3 dimensional sphere. At best, the Universe can be approximated by a sphere, but not a real sphere. a 4d sphere that we cannot immagine (although we can calculate for). To be deadly accurate, you must include the curviture caused by every mass in the Universe all at one value of time.

I don't know what Fuller says about them, but in differential geometry it is a curve such that parallel transport along it brings the tangent vector at the initial point onto the tangent vector at the final point, for any pair of points. It can also be described more simply as giving the briefest path between any two of its points.

Excellent Q; shortest distance between 2 points it is. Moreover, I can't let a direct comment on Fuller slip through my grasp. :) Since you forget very little Q, may I presume you haven't read Fuller's Synergetics? Setting aside Fuller's quirky aspects, he was a master geometer by the standard convention, what with inventing the Geodesic Dome & the Dymaxion Map Projection. Just wondering what gives with no one knowing what Fuller says (said RIP).:)

If you read a bit of Buckminster Fuller's geometry in Synergetics you will see it is you who is 180 out of phase as no lines exist save straight lines.:)

Er...well, Fuller said no straight lines exist apparently, but he used those non-existing straight lines to good effect.:)

http://www.gap-system.org/~history/Quotations/Fuller.html

Everything you've learned in school as 'obvious' becomes less and less obvious as you begin to study the universe. For example, there are no solids in the universe. There's not even a suggestion of a solid. There are no absolute continuums. There are no surfaces. There are no straight lines.