Science Forums

Right angled triangle combinations(3,4,5....)

Roadam

We all probably know that combination. Is there any other combination than this to fit into a^2+b^2=c^2? Other than its multiples(6,8,10) of course.

You are asking about square roots. Forget the whole triangle (thought the question remains the same whether you think of it as a triangle or not).

You are asking if the sum of the squares of any two numbers, equals the square of another number.

Do some number crunching, see if you can find any combinations. 25^2-24^2-=?^2.

We all probably know that combination. Is there any other combination than this to fit into a^2+b^2=c^2? Other than its multiples(6,8,10) of course.

Try this on for size. There is also some discussion in the Katabatak thread. Or look up primitive right triangles on Wiki. There are an infinite number of unique integer right triangles.

Bill

and did you also know that in the equation of form:

a^n + b^n = c^n

has no solutions for n>2

Jay-qu

Lol, I didn't know that. I've found some solutions but not whole number solutions, which I think is what you were talking about. Nevertheless, that result is very surprising to me.

Can you show me the maths behind it?

Lol, I didn't know that. I've found some solutions but not whole number solutions, which I think is what you were talking about. Nevertheless, that result is very surprising to me.

Can you show me the maths behind it?

Is there a proof? I think I saw it somewhere... It was said that for 300 years since it was postulated by some french person, it has'nt been proved or disproved since.

Etc.

Is there a proof? I think I saw it somewhere... It was said that for 300 years since it was postulated by some french person, it has'nt been proved or disproved since.

Etc.

Fermat's last Theorum.

Fermat said he had found a proof, but never disclosed it.

A few years ago, a team using a large computer finally generated a proof of the theorum. Since Fermat did not have access to a computer, it is doubtfull that this is the same proof (if said proof ever existed).

no, thats not true, it's approximately equal, but not exact. i tried it in my calculator. i think someone proved the theorem using some kind of elliptic curve or something. its like a 200 pages+ proof. im not sure though. you might wanna check out mathworld.com

Fermat's last Theorum.

Fermat said he had found a proof, but never disclosed it.

A few years ago, a team using a large computer finally generated a proof of the theorum. Since Fermat did not have access to a computer, it is doubtfull that this is the same proof (if said proof ever existed).

Here is a page on Wile's proof. Wile did not have a team. While Wile may have used a computer, a computer did not 'write' the proof & is not necessary for checking or understanding it. http://fermatslasttheorem.blogspot.com/2005/05/fermats-achievements.html

Wiles' proof rests on twentieth century mathematics including the theories of elliptic curves, modular forms, and Galois Representations.

Computers can be programmed to check proofs, however the possibility still exists for translation errors to & from English (Norweigen, Italian, etc.)

http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=66901&messageID=284178