Science Forums

Binary compounds in sea water

YYYY

Hello

I am compilling a spread shhet on all the binary compounds known to be in sea water. I need to work out the actual size of the molocules. I have the angstrom sizes of every element that is available.

I have been told to simply add the size of each element together to get the size of the molocule but this doesn't seem like valid science to me.

Does anyone know the correct procedure? Has this data already been collated? Is it available?

Regards

Y

Get the density of each compound. You then know the volume/formula unit. That number will be debatably meaningless since in water solution ions have hydration shells. Ions in solution electrostrict the water.

You could look up the density of water solutions containing increasing concentrations of various salts (e.g., old CRC Handbooks). You then assume mixtures of salts act like linear combinations of individual salt solutions - which is also debatable.

Seawater contains lots of sodium, chloride, magnesium, sulfate, calcium, and bromide. You don't get discrete compounds until you remove the water.

Another thing to note would be WHERE the sea water is coming from.

The "binary compounds" will vary greatly in amounts depending on where the water is coming from.

Magnesium compounds, particularly the with the chloride anion, are especially plentiful in much of the oceans.... and then there's always NaCl, which is obviously the most plentiful compound....

ahhhh.... sea water.

Get the density of each compound. You then know the volume/formula unit. That number will be debatably meaningless since in water solution ions have hydration shells. Ions in solution electrostrict the water.

You could look up the density of water solutions containing increasing concentrations of various salts (e.g., old CRC Handbooks). You then assume mixtures of salts act like linear combinations of individual salt solutions - which is also debatable.

Seawater contains lots of sodium, chloride, magnesium, sulfate, calcium, and bromide. You don't get discrete compounds until you remove the water.

Thanks for the reply

Where would I find the density of each compound?

If the density would be meaningless where would I find info on the the hydration shells?

I am finding google increasingly less effective the more I delve into this. This is why I have looked to a forum such as this.

Hi Mercedes

I have quite a few Sea Water Analysis's and they do vary but that is not really an issue. I am only interested in what is know to be in sea water/any sea water.

BTW there are about approx 1230 of them.

To find the density of substances, just look them up on the internet. Or, as UncleAl said, you could prpbably find the pre-determined water/compound densities from a CRC handbook, although you'll probably want to borrow one, 'cause they are pretty flipping expensive for a book. I just bought my first one a couple months ago, and it's AMAZING!

Good luck.

I would love a copy of that CRC Handbook

Google is not to forthcoming

:)

CRC handbooks are usually in libraries;

sometimes second hand at Amazon

"Google scholar" might be more helpful

eg"

Identification of Compounds by Extraction p-Values Using Gas Chromatography.

MC Bowman, M Beroza - Analytical Chemistry, 1966 - pubs.acs.org

... The Chemist and Fertility of Sea Waters,” 2x17 ... containing com- pounds) in seven binary

solvent systems ... solvent system, closely related compounds were readily ..."

I would be interested to hear of the results of your research

• 2 weeks later...

somebody just sent me this:

"I have attached an excel spread sheet for you to look

at. It details what is in sea and land salts.

It is a list of binary compounds.

If both the columns F and L on either side of the

binary are blue then that binary is contained in sea

water. Same principle for Land salts. Your a smart

cookie, I'm sure you'll be able to work it out."

Is it of any use to you

It is a big file

somebody just sent me this:

"I have attached an excel spread sheet for you to look

at. It details what is in sea and land salts.

It is a list of binary compounds.

If both the columns F and L on either side of the

binary are blue then that binary is contained in sea

water. Same principle for Land salts. Your a smart

cookie, I'm sure you'll be able to work it out."

Is it of any use to you

It is a big file

Hey Michael

It was ME that sent you that file, silly :)

Cheers

YYYY

PS I love your sig. I am a big fan of Joni.

• 1 month later...