Science Forums

Gas prices

Queso

They will spike for summer time.

People will pay it.

It is a common gripe...

"so, how 'bout dem' gas prices?"

What can you do?

Blame it on the War, blame it on supply/demand...

Feel bad for those Motorhome travellers when they pull up to a Chevron with their Good Sam stickers :eek:

S'about $3.15 here

Fill er' up,

Rack

Fortunately, once the weathers nice here, during High Gas Price Season, people can get off their arses and ride a bike, walk, rollerblade, commute, and conserve...or whatever.

What a gas-waste Americans can be sometimes....:eek:

Or like Orby suggested, you can just drop your keys in the fishbowl. :D

$3.44 right there,

for a gallon

10c a mile?

Over here we've been hovering around €5 a US gallon (which was around US$6 and rising lately), if that's any consolation to you.

Even before it was quite like this, I've long been doing little distance with my old garbage can, it get's me to the railway station!!! :) :) :)

currently some argument about dropping the $AU.35 tax on petrol, that may bring it back to a dollar a litre
Nnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! :)

Tax at the pump is a great thing! It serves them right, they that waste and fill the air with junk!

Gas prices are cheap they will be cheap until they reach the price someone will push your car for 20 miles. Ask someone to push your car for 20 miles for 10 bucks? You wont find anyone. You wont find anyone to do it for a mile or even a block. Gas is a bargain if you really think of what all they have to do to get it to you. They have to find oil, then they have to pump it out of the ground. ON top of that they have to refine it, ship it over thousands and thousands of miles and alot of times over sea. I dont know enough about how it gets here but its alot and it is still very very very cheap for what all they have to do to get gas at your local gas station for you to pay 2.90 a gallon. I read that logic on aother forum, what do you all think?

what do you all think?
To make a better comparison, you'd have to say "push your car without the extra weight of the engine" and, at that point, you ought to reduce the weight even further if you really want to have a guy (and only one guy) pushing it rather than horses or oxen that can be coaxed to do it for a bit of hay or oats and what they need to live on. Look up the cost of keeping horses and oxen for the purpose, even in the days of slavery quadrupedes were more cost effective than bipedes as well as faster.

As for the cost of getting the stuff, how much more expensive is it to mine, refine and deliver gold or diamonds? Not so terribly much, once you own the mine. You might be surprised to know that, in some cases such as Saudi Arabia, the cost per barrel of gettin' the stuff out of the ground is quoted as about US$2 a barrel, what's the rest of the 70 or so (for crude) due to? You try persuading those sheiks they should charge less 'cause it ain't fair.

Waste not, want not. Buy a horse and cart.

i know some places in the middle east it is that cheap but alot of opecs fields have been in operation since the 1960's or 70's and are getting heavily depleted so they have to work to keep pressure in the field so they can keep pumping more out so alot of places it does cost them alot of money to get the oil out of the ground and the price of barrel is accurate for alot of fields.

Certainly, but the point of what I said is market value not depending only on cost of production. That's what I meant about trying to tell the sheiks they're not being fair by charging about as much as those that have to shove and pull and suck the wells dry. Everybody use less fuel, or switch to other sources, and watch how the price of a barrel drops...