Science Forums

Questions

That's an interesting question! Here's an idea off the top of my head, not having ever built one:

Put a pin in your axle that sticks out on both sides (looking at the axle from the front/back):

W--F-------------|--F--W

(W=Wheel, F=Frame, | = pin)

Now wrap/tie one end of the rubber band around the pin in the axle and then attach the other end of the rubber band to the frame on the left side of the illustration. When you "wind up" the wheels, the rubber band should wind around the axle creating some tension, and when you release it it should go.

I have no idea if this will work! Jamie and Adam say "Try this at home!"

Experimentation is good,

Buffy

I wouldn't no. You can tie knots in it at each end to make it secure, or heck on the frame end, maybe just staple it. Cutting it will increase the likelihood of breakage, and lower the amount of tesion you can probably generate by winding...

Wind, release, repeat,

Buffy

I dun really understand the W--F-------------|--F--W part. Thanks for the suggestions :rolleyes:

Its a picture! the "----------------------------" is the axle. the "|" is a pin in it. the "F" is the frame you've probably poked some holes in to stick the axle through. The "W's" are the wheels on each end of the axle. Try it!

Cheers,

Buffy

Yeah. You only need one axle driving (although I guess you could "turbocharge" it by replicating the mechanism on both axles!) You'll probably get different amounts of tension from attaching it to the frame at different angles from the orientation of the axle, which would also depend on the length of the rubber band. When I first thought of this I imagined attaching it to the frame right next to the intersection with the axle on the left side, but you could attach it anywhere. the main point is that the "frame-end" is fixed, while the "pin on the axle" end rotates, thus allowing the rubber band to wind around the axle as you turn it....

Cheers,

Buffy

how do i actually attach it to the frame? u mean WW--F-------------Pin (With rubberband)--(Rubberband)F--W?

Don't mind her... she likes Nascar so can't possibly know what she's talking about when it comes to automobiles... :eek_big:

What you need to do to understand her diagram is put a "T" in between the wheel and Frame... hence giving you a "WTF." :shrug:

I'd ask TheBigDog. :eek_big:

Oh my, I must remember not to talk about cars. It threatens Now's fragile masculinity so much! :shade:

Here's yet another view from the top:

FFFFFFFFFFFFFF
    F            F
    F         *  F
  W-F--------r|r-F-W
    F    rrrrr   F
   +Frrrrrr      F
    F            F

I've added the rrrr's to show the rubber band. You could tie or staple it where the "+" is and then tie it to the pin on the axle at the "*". Turn the axle and the rubber band will start winding around it....