Science Forums

Figuring out a chemical mistake

ronthepon

There was recently a little accident in a school lab nearby, and I'm interested in hearing the opinions of you science guys on it.

It was chemistry practical time, and the kids were making some soap by saponification.

First they brought some fat

Then, they added NaOH, rather in excess.

They heated the mixture for about 10 mins

They then put the remainder in casts to make soap and left in the sun to dry.

About 2 hours later, the lab assistant found that the mixture was too basic and was causing severe ichiness in anybody who would bother to touch it.

So he added some concentrated acid, slowly.

About 45 mins. later, the soaps violently exploded, causing the laboratory to become a complete mess.

Anybody got any idea waht happened? The lab assistant says that he added the acid quite slowly and carefully, and anyway I think that 45 minutes is a very long reaction time.

That is utterly perplexing!

I couldn't really begin to imagine how something like that would happen. Perhaps there was some sort of impurity in the fat??? Or perhaps some error in the experiment formed some combustible organic compounds in the recently created soap.

Another point to make: You mentioned that the soap caused itchiness. Bases don't itch. The skin may feel irritated, but it definitely doesn't itch. This suggests that maybe there was some additional contaminant??

This is really strange.... but very cool.

Yes, nitroglycerin is made by adding nitric acid to glycerol. However, unless the mixture was cool whilst combining those two ingredients, it would have decomposed instantly, which does not explain the 45 minutes inbetween the addition of the acid and the accident. Also, I'm fairly sure the manufacturing process of nitroglycerine requires a mixture of nitric acid and sulfuric acid...