Science Forums

Presence of Phosphate Reaction

Knoton

Does anyone know the redox reaction equations for the reaction between (NH4)6Mo7O24:4H20(Ammonium Molybdate), SnCl2:2H20(Stannous Chloride), and Phosphate that forms Molybdenum Blue(Mo5O14)? The Molybdate solution contains Sulphuric Acid. Also the Stannous Chloride is dissolved in glycerin

I'm not sure of the exact equation, however it seems that in the acidic solution, the phosphate bonds with the ammonium molybdate to form an molybdenum-phosphoric acid, which is then reduced with the stannous chloride to form the "Molybdenum Blue". I'll try to work out an actual equation for you, but that seems to me the most likely answer???

Good luck!

do you want the half equations?

If so first split up the main reactants (there should be two equations) then balance the oxygen using H2O then balance the hydrogen you added from the H20 with H+ ions then finally balance the charge on either side of the equations using electrons.

Hey, that's related to a research paper I published in Journal of Biochemical and Biophysical methods, way back in 1981. I developed a method for the estimation of phospholopids in aqueous solutions. It was quite a hit! People normally use Subbarow Fiske method.

So far I can recall, the blue color complex is in fact a kind of colloid.

Any way I would be interested in any further information on this topic:)