Science Forums

What does it mean by being a human???

Tim_Lou

i think there is no meaning, we are simply a mass of molecules in the universe....

what does it mean to be a human?

is there a meaning???

"to be a human"=??????

my brains is empty...

sigh, unfortunately, my teacher made this as an essay topic........

i have no idea what i can write... need help badly.....

(well, my first time calling help for my homework......T_T)

Well, of all people I think you would be the one to come up with a clever answer to that, Tim. We all draw a blank now and then, though.

What is it to be human? To be human is to belong to humanity. Belonging to humanity is an important distinction. We are a species in this world which is different from all other species. We talk. We laugh. We share ideas. We teach. We learn. We kill. We hurt. We use tools. We do science. We have religions.

I think you will find some of these aspects in animals. But I doubt you will find all of them in any species. That's one way we are different.

Plus we are both the eyes and the minds of - if not the universe, at least our solar system. That's gotta count for something!

Originally posted by: Tim_Lou

i think there is no meaning, we are simply a mass of molecules in the universe....

Ah but with a specifcally defined organization and ability.

what does it mean to be a human?

The current end result of a specific branch of Evolutionary development.

sigh, unfortunately, my teacher made this as an essay topic........

i have no idea what i can write... need help badly.....

(well, my first time calling help for my homework......T_T)

Ya, what the 2nd day? Too much summer vaction!

Bipedal, socially oriented, oxygen dependant, selfaware, organic "mass of molecules".

Due Monday?

yeah, due monday...

i was about to address the purpose of life... but it doesnt sound right to be fitting the title.

"What is it to be human? To be human is to belong to humanity"

thats a good one, thx tormod!

so i can shift the title and talk about humanity!!!!

cool!!!!

thx guys

well, freethinker's idea is a bit too scientific, not sure if its good for a english essay... thx though

: )

(i hope my teacher doesnt find this website, it maybe considered cheating....)

[god, still got a physics lab report, damn my teacher has a whole page of requirements!]

• 1 month later...

To Be a Human:

I belive there is a quote that can be applied here..."to be or not to be"

To be a human is to except ones role in a role in our socity right? I mean if i am not human what am i? A monkey? Then i would belong to their socity. Human is a label that has be given to us so that we feel guilty if we don't fit in...its a name and a tag that like anything else can be shed.

(if none of this makes since, i am sorry...its late here...almost 2 in the morning, and i can't sleep...random thoughts)

OP5

This is some sort of secular humanism.

If we are made up of molecules, thus part of the universe. That means we belong to the universe. Not just humanity right?

How about this from Wikipedia:

Neutral monism, which holds that both the mental and the physical can be reduced to some sort of third, more "neutral" kind of stuff

-Then we belong to that "neutral kind of stuff".

Anyway, why is it that if we are from something, then we belong to that something? Give some reasons