Science Forums

Understanding 3+ spatial dmensions?

Till now, some of us are used to describing more than two dimensions on paper (draw the third dimension in a curved manner). To an imaginary 2D organism, however, the tilted drawing of the third dimension will appear quite the same as a wierd and bented form of Its 2 dimensions.

My question is, can we possibly display 4 or more spatial dimensions in our own 3?(by our own I mean the ones we can see and comprehend) Please correct me if my understanding of these dimensions seem wrong but how can we possibly hope to understand such a representation.

I know we can represent a change in another spacial dimension with the 3 spatial dimensions using math equations.

The universe is a number of dimensions functioning as one to give us the reality we have. Time is a dimension, and the spatial dimensions are in this dimension.

Things get strange when you travel near the speed of light according to theory..

I would at my best guess say, that you cant display more than 3 spatial dimensions with a 3 dimensional space/universe visually.

There is a problem in displaying the extra dimensions in this way. As the number of dimensions goes up, the whole description will become more and more complex and abstract. The concept will have less and less use.

What if we show the extra dimensions connected to the points on the 2D part a little bent, making no changes in lengths. Only adding about +15 degrees for dimension 4 and colouring in red and say... +30 degrees and colouring in blue for dimension 5 and so on...?

Yeah um... so why is there a problem in seeing more than 3 dimentions the Martin Gardner's ticktacktoe way?

The Gardner Ticktacktoe is on a 3 Dimensional Peice of paper being seen in a 3D spatial reality by a 3D spatial lifeform.

It can represent more dimensions, but can not display more, and those two terms are very different, that is my opinion.

:hihi: I'm not sure what you mean by "on the long diagonals" and by "taking part in". In what you say about my picture, "take part in" means that each square is the boundary between two cubes, which is correct. I can't see which the third cube would be in the discrete case.