Science Forums

So What Are Quasars?

Racoon

into the superstring / wormhole event horizon ... when you hit the EH. you have fallen into gravity well and have achieved the speed of light and infinite mass yourself / or divide by zero, which ever comes first. both are "undefined " events so far ... clear as mud ! that is what was explained to me in my Ph410 section in 1976 and to my knowledge that has yet to change. have fun

Hello All

Why do some quasars give off radio waves?

The electrons near the center of the quasar can be accelerated to speeds near the speed of light. In the presence a magnetic field (which is present in these same regions), the electrons move along helical paths (paths that look like a stretched out slinky), and as a result, they emit radio waves (it's called synchrotron radiation, since these waves are observed on Earth when physicists send high energy electrons around in circles using magnetic fields, in particle accelerators call synchrotrons).

So charged particles like electrons at different distances from the quasar center accelerate differently. So the different electrons will be emmiting different wavelengths.

Hence the wavelength composition of a quasar can be used to analyse the structure of a quasar in ways more than it can be done for a star.

Is all this making sensible analysis?

• 2 weeks later...

*bumping this thread a bit.

I really got thinking after Tormod's latest article on Mapping the Universe.

So far, we are about ~40% mapped,

These images are from Harry Costas post earlier on.

Could Quasars be located at the very edge of the universe?

And since it sucks in everything, could Quasars BE the edge of the universe?

or just the center of Galaxies?

Which makes the Universe seem like a big Pool. If theres an edge to it...

This stuff just Boggles my mind! :D :rolleyes:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap961125.html

Hello All

Quarsar is found throught the universe. It is a star like body that gives off light, If you lok at the prvious links it is expalined.

The quarsar does not do the sucking it is the black hole that does the sucking and during this process matter collides realeasing energy in the form of light and so we see this star like body and call it a quarsar. There are other types of quarasr such as micro quarsar which is a body formed by the energy ejected by a black hole.

As you know this is my opinion and take it with a bit of salt.

• 1 month later...

More on Quasars: :hihi:

Scientists think quasars in the early universe contributed to the end of the cosmic Dark Ages following the Big Bang. The quasars' high-energy radiation possibly stripped electrons away from intergalactic material and ionized it. But the FUSE observations show that regions of early star formation also may have contributed to the Dark Ages' end

Okay here's what I know and it's more over related to the finding of the quasar more than explaining what a quasar is but hope it helps,

in 1963 the astronomer Maarten Schmidt whilst going over the radio astronomical surveys by Riley was studying source number 273 from Ryle's 3C survey.And Ryle's conclusion about all those radio sources was that it comes from a younge galaxies.But the radio signals coming from 273 C3 was unsually strong and Schmidt assumed it was a star from a local galaxy and furthermore this source also emitted light and was quite fine and not blotchy suggesting that it is indeed a star.In order to figure out it's composition Schmidy was studying it's spectrograph analysis to find out that it looked like no other element known to man but he soon figured out that this confusion was a result of the extraordinarily large red **** present with the source and the element present was none other than Hydrogen.Whilse a local star recedes at a speed of about 50 km/s the source question receded at about 45,ooo km/s which is roughly 15% the speed of light.So apparently this source is not a bright local star but an awful bright far of star.And this distance also suggests that Quasar's were only present in the early stages of the universe.And it is this radio source that is now knows as Quasi Stellar Radio object or Quasar.

And a little quotation by Gamow(The physicist who suggested nuclearsynthesis in the big bang)

"Twinkle twinkle,quasi star,

Biggest puzzle from afar,

How unl ike the other ones,

Brighter than a billion suns.

Twinkle twinkle,quasi star,

How I wonder what you are!"