Science Forums

Internet Explorer 7: Did you resolve these glitches?

When you, reader, downloaded firefox, this problem probably did not exist yet.

Near every page pops up a window telling me I need quicktime! I gave in and went to download quicktime. I have to download iTunes! I smell bloated software. Is anyone here savvy and know where I can grab a standalone quicktime install for firefox?

Original post below....

Regarding Internet Explorer 7:

Google searches do not get saved in history most of the time, so if I press "back," the browser skips the google results.

Adobe pdf files do not load until I click "refresh."

all the fixes for all the browsers are located at http://www.getfirefox.com

firefox is by far, more standard compliant then Microsoft is in general, it has full support of css2, it is less, and better written code, aside from that there are a gazillion extensions that allow you to to get everything from a calculator to exposee-style effect in firefox...

Enough. I have heard of and used several other browsers. I don't use firefox because I am worried it is less secure than IE. Read the following article:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.11/start.html?pg=18

"Firefox had four times as many security holes as IE this year."

Also, firefox runs Flash animations slower than IE. I have a slow computer so this is a disadvantage. Lastly, I like a minimal layout, so firefox add-ins are of no interest to me.

Opera has a few compatibility issues that may be work-out-able, but I don't care. It offers no advantages over IE.

Slimbrowser installs with MySearch bar. MySearch is the devil.

IE6 is fine. I wish I still had it but it is corrupted if I revert now. I don't want to reinstall windows.

If anyone has IE7, please let me know your version, and I will try it.

I don't use firefox because I am worried it is less secure than IE.

ignorance to explain what kinds of volnurabilities firefox has and what kinds of volnurabilities IE has is what leads to such reviews...

first of all, IE works on 1 platform and runs on one OS, windows, in comparison Firefox runs on OS X, Linux (all distributions), BSD (net, free, open), Solaris, Irix and Windows, that means that there are at least 8 times the amount of places that security volnurabilities can be found, that's not even mentioning major distros of linux, code for which can be quite a bit different, raising that number to at over a dozen times the amount of places things can go wrong, notice in 11 out of 12, it doesnt even touch you! now, Firefox also compiles on multiple different hardware platforms, for which the code is different once again, namely, x86, AMD64, PPC, PPC64, spark, spark64 and mips, that times the oses that run on the arches:

x86: windows, Linux, BSD, OS X, Solaris

AMD64: windows, Linux, Solaris

PPC: Linux, OS X (BSD?)

PPC64: Linux, OS X

Spark: Linux, Solaris, BSD

Spark 64: Linux, Solaris, BSD

Mips: Linux, Irix

So, this brings it to 20 different platfors, to get things wrong, yes some code remains the same on some platforms, but still there is enouh code to get things go wrong on one platform while making an improvement in another. (p.s. platform is either OS or Compiler)

Given that there is a lot more places for things to go wrong, you have to judge what kinds of things go wrong with IE vs Firefox, in other words, what kinds of flaws are you looking at, security-wise:

so lets see some results of the google new search for IE security Flaws:

The error could be exploited to fake the address bar in a browser window, according to an advisory notice from security monitoring company Secunia. This tactic could be used in phishing scams that attempt to trick people into believing they are on a legitimate site, when in fact they are viewing a fraudulent web page.
Microsoft today issued a cumulative security update for the Internet Explorer browser, which covers a total of eight remote code execution vulnerabilities as well as one information disclosure vulnerability and one spoofing vulnerability.
The vulnerability went from a theoretical to a real risk last weekend when security folks began seeing websites where malware authors were using the exploit to break into fully-patched Windows PCs.

ok, now the same for firefox:

The vulnerability went from a theoretical to a real risk last weekend when security folks began seeing websites where malware authors were using the exploit to break into fully-patched Windows PCs. The quantity of sites hosting the malicious code now number in the hundreds.
Of the vulnerabilities mentioned by US-CERT, four deal with JavaScript handling issues, two with XBL, two over CSS issues, two with memory corruption, and another that covers a problem with the way the browser handles display styles.
Some of the security lapses in Mozilla software, which Firefox is based on, could allow malicious hackers to hijack computers.

So i wont lie and say that FF does not present hijacking volnurabilities (at least in windows it used to), also that FF has fewer volnurabilities. But, FF does totally block out the ActiveX componets, and their volnurabilities are usually pretty harmless. that said, FF has maybe had 4 times the volnurabilities then IE6 this year, but IE has had at least 6 more years to patch their problems then FF, and also firefox has way better features, that actually make it much more secure then IE, namely:

Add'n Edit Cookies, which allows you to do just that

Dr. Web Anti-Virus Link Checker, scanning files for viruses before you download them. Basically, this extension adds an option to the link context menu that allows you to pass the link to the Dr. Web AV service.

NoScript allows to stop execution of scripts on websites

Temperdata allows you to temper with form data fields

AdBlock allows you to block any website content, with bendable user-defined rules, so if you wanted to say block any domain that has the word googleads in it, all you have to add is *gogleads* to the list of blocked items and you are done...

plus firefox has no files where it keeps all the data you have ever etered in any field in it that you can not remove with clear all temp data, it also has a built in popup blocker and searchbar that allows you to add virtualy any search engine to it...

please, if that post annoyed you and you are trying to not get into any trouble, i'm pretty loose on some points of some rules, so expressing your dislike is ok in this corner.

I can understand that you asked a specific question and want a specific answer to it, one that would involve IE7, well, since all i want is our forum attendees to be secure and protected and have the best of the best, i sometimes make remarks in directions that people dont want them to go, but it makes more sense to tell someone the cold truth then to attempt to help their troubles directly. I would not recommend IE7, mostly because it is, like IE6, once again not standard compiant, it is 4 megs larger and a lot of features shorter then FF, it doesnt support CSS2 and still links with ActiveX (which is a huge door into your system), takes a load of processing power for webpage rendering, reserves 5-10% of your internet bw for windows services (you can see it in the registry), no themes, no extension, search bar is an addon you gotta run on top of IE and so forth...

as to your new question:

http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/firefox-windows.html

enjoy, there is a tutorial for just about everything you would need to integrade, oh, QT is the same darn way with IE as it is with FF, so no complany complany ;)

also if you want a good set of plugins for FF, catch:

Fasterfox - makes FF faster (as odd as it may seem as it seems, it is possible by disabling some page rendering features...)

Adblock - (beautiicious)

Adblock Filterset.G - (even more beautiicious, because it adds to adblock's beautiiciousness)

Dr. Web Antivirus Link Checker - (no comment, checking links for viruses is crazy (and yes i run it in linux))

Download Manager Tweak - (looks more proffesional)

Down Themall - (sometimes you just need to download 50 things on the page... well this is the extension to save you clicks)

QuickJava - This one is great, if you know anything about java, it should be that Java runtime processes take up like 350 megs of ram to run, and they usually dont arent propperly killed, and the only real way to do it is to kill the app that called them, in our case FF. Well, i dont like to do that very much, especialy when researching something, and i cant stand 300meg ram/swap usage, so i dont allow java to run at all, unless i need it, in which case i will turn the blocker off. PS, dont confuse Java with JavaScript, they are totally different, but the app allows you to block it as well :thumbs_up

I also like some developer tools:

HTML validator - nifty for your own creations or to critique your friends :)

Web Developer - very cool tool, but once again for a web development...

and as to your forst and formost question about IE7, if that is really happening, try to donwload and reinstall the browser, it's not supposed to exhibit the behavior you describe... so uninstall, download, reinstall, should do the trick...

P.S. IE ripped off the idea of tabs from FF, plus they arent anywhere as good either... remember to use control click to open up links in new tabs... really nifty :)