Science Forums

Experiment

P-man

I think he's referring to your invisibility cloak, Turtle.

Nah...he has a real chemistry question & I was trying to be jocular. P-Man's alright...sorry P-Man for interupting the flow. I only know enough chemistry to know either you are asking what compound is H2Cl literally, or that finding H2Cl as a solution to the equation somehow surprises you. If you press me further, I can further illuminate my ignorance.:hihi: :hihi: That is all.;)

Are you trying to make Chlorine Gas??

What exactly are you wanting to do P-man?

my chemistry is rusty...

haha, get it, rusty - oxidation...:hihi:

Let see if I have time to go looking through my old notes.

I really do wish I would have kept my Chemistry Book from college. ;)

I did this experiment. I am not sure about my equation, however, if I am correct, there is a little something that caught my eye.

NaCl + H2SO4 --> NaSO4 + H2Cl*

*What is this?

I'm not sure how the reaction would go but;

Na2SO4 is sodium sulphate, and HCL is hydrochloric acid

If you look at your reaction, NaSO4 + H2CL cannot be accurate.............Infy

I did this experiment. I am not sure about my equation, however, if I am correct, there is a little something that caught my eye.

NaCl + H2SO4 --> NaSO4 + H2Cl*

*What is this?

The problem is your equation has not be properly balanced! it should look more like:

2NaCl + H2SO4 --> Na2SO4 + 2HCl

;)

So NaSO4 is not a compound? What about H2Cl?

Anyways, if I made HCl, then it would have been formed in a gaseous form, right? Then it would have floated away on the wind...

Sodium sulphate... what may I do with that, exactly?

Oh, and I have found a new balance to the equation:

NaCl + H2SO4 --> NaHSO4 + HCl

Which still produces HCl but also a compound that I have temporarily named Sodium Hydrosulphate.

So NaSO4 is not a compound? What about H2Cl?

They may be, but they wont readily form under normal conditions in a very large abundance. The NaSO4 will have a negative charge while the H2Cl will come with a positive charge.

Anyways, if I made HCl, then it would have been formed in a gaseous form, right?

No, it would have all stayed in an aqueous form - that is dissolved in the water.

Oh, and I have found a new balance to the equation:

NaCl + H2SO4 --> NaHSO4 + HCl

there are many balances to the equation, yes they add up but that doesnt mean it can happen in the real world - maybe under some wacky conditions.. but under normal conditions you may only create a very small amount of it. Its sort of like probability, the most probable outcome of these two chems been mixed is the equation I wrote up, but there are other possibilities these will occur but on a very small scale.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but when I see something chemistry-related to help with...

2 NaCl + H2SO4 --> 2 HCl + Na2SO4

Yes, reacting salt with sulfuric acid does produce hydrogen chloride, and sodium sulfate.

The hydrogen chloride will be in gaseous form because there is no water for it to dissolve in.

But how much does it make? It can't be making that much can it? It seemed my sulphuric acid was doing nothing, is it a slow reaction?

I doubt you would be able to see a reaction taking place. No precipitate is formed, and no gas would effervesce, so the reaction is taking place... it's just not... visible. ;)