Science Forums

Child abuse: Child athletes

Rebiu

Training prepubescent girls to be Olympic gymnasts is not only accepted it is wildly popular. These girls are often physically changed and even permanently damage by this training as well as psychologically damaged by the training environment and competition. When their bodies mature they often loose endorsements and popularity. These girls are taught that the mature feminine body is less desirable that the immature body that gained them fame and opportunity. When these girls are idolized the message reverberates through the entire culture.

These competitors are also inappropriately sexualized with makeup, hair, and very tight and sexually oriented designs.

Why do we call it women’s gymnastics when all the competitors are very young children? Why is it so popular? What sort of reform would appropriately address these issues?

Changing the channel or avoiding the purchase of tickets to such events if you do not like them. It's called the Free Market.
Do you really think this is a response to my thread? I do not have TV. I do not buy tickets. I am asking for honest opinions. It seems you are simple trying to stop the dialogue.

My response is basically that, although you see this as a huge and important issue, I do not. Since you took offense to my comment, I will try to subtract myself from this discussion and allow you to figure out how to handle such far-reaching problems as child athletes and their implications to our culture.

I see this often enough.

Seems Cheerleading is now a major cause of injury among girls. :D

Due to enormous pressure and rigorous practice. :)

At College, I work with the Athletic Trainer for the Basketball games.

We just got cheerleaders.

But they are NOT in our boundaries to treat; we can give them an icebag, and thats it.

There are more injuries from it it seems sometimes, than the Basketball :eek:

Albeit they are college aged...

I see this often enough.

Seems Cheerleading is now a major cause of injury among girls. :)

Due to enormous pressure and rigorous practice. :)

At College, I work with the Athletic Trainer for the Basketball games.

We just got cheerleaders.

But they are NOT in our boundaries to treat; we can give them an icebag, and thats it.

There are more injuries from it it seems sometimes, than the Basketball :friday:

Albeit they are college aged...

Kids mature at different ages. School sports do not really consider this. My brother in law has permanent back injuries from lifting weight to young. He was 6'5 at age 16 and still growing. I think heavy weight lifting should be curtailed as part of a training regiment.

Most sports in general do not allow for adequate healing and recovery. If you team needs you then you play hurt. This leads to many permanent injuries.

I am a big fan of wrestling. I have a big problem with my kids participating if the coach will want them to cut weight. This is an extremely deleterious activity that severely weakens the brain and leaves them vulnerable to permanent injuries from a throw that impacts their head. In boxing the fatal head punch is almost unheard of in the heavyweights because they do not cut weight.

Reibu, all of your objections appear to be to inappropriate, unskilled, or misdirected coaching, not to difficulties inherent in the sports themselves. These coaching issues are a reflection of problems in society. That might be the best place to look for solutions.
I agree. I do not think the sport need to be eleminated, changed, or strictly regulated. There are cultural attitudes that perpetuate and harmful practises and those attitude are where the problems are.