Science Forums

Let's say the earth reversed rotation...

Guido

Besides celestial objects rising and setting on opposite sides as they do now, how would life on earth change? I'm not talking about the G forces with stopping the earth, etc. - just the effects (if any) of having our planet spin in the opposite dirrection.

Thanks.

Everyone would move from the West coast to the East coast so they could see the better sunset. Toilets would flush in the opposite direction they do now. Other than that, not too sure if any major changes would occur (but there might be a bit of a "full moon" effect whereby animals of all types freak out somewhat because things are different).

Anyway, welcome to Hypography Guido. I look forward to our interactions. Enjoy.

Cheers. :doh:

We would launch satallites the other direction. The tides would all change because the rythm with the moon would be different. It currently orbits in the same directoin as the spic of the earth. Making them mismatch would cause a differnt relationship. I guess the gravitational drag between the earth and the moon would increase as a result too, so the moon would begin to move away faster as the earth's spin slows faster than now as the moon moves away. Hmmm.... Hurricanes would hit California, Europe and Africa. Trade winds and ocean currents would all be different. I am really just making some speculative educated guesses.

Bill

Thanks guys. That's true about the moon causing havoc until it becomes "locked" with the earth again.

Now how about nothing changes except the earth orbiting the sun in the opposite direction? I know certain things would be backwards, but would it cause any major changes?

Just curious that's all.

Thanks guys. That's true about the moon causing havoc until it becomes "locked" with the earth again.

Now how about nothing changes except the earth orbiting the sun in the opposite direction? I know certain things would be backwards, but would it cause any major changes?

Just curious that's all.

I would guess that earthquakes would be more frequent or common in new areas, less frequent in others, as continental drift reversed. The changes in weather patterns can only be guessed at, but I imagine they would be significant. What life didnt go extinct durning the original shift would be challenged in a new way. I would also guess bird migration patterns would be thrown for a loop.