Science Forums

Energy in another context

How about another blood comment? The saltyness makes it an electrolyte.

Energy is ...well, energy. The context is the usual energy considerations so argued over here; time, location, etc.

I had not even considered that yet. Thank you very much Turtle! Perhaps I should start doing some research into bio-electrolysis...

Hmmm... <scratching chin> :confused:

How about another blood comment? The saltyness makes it an electrolyte.

Energy is ...well, energy.

Turtle brings up so many great points! :confused: --->>>:edizzy:

The salts dissolve into ions that have key functions in cells; such as a nerve cell that depends on ions of sodium and potassium and calcium.

The salts act as a buffer system, pH. I'm sure this isn't new to anybody, but:

Bloods pH is vigorously guarded at 7.3 - 7.5 on the slightly alkaline side.

a drop in pH toeven 7.0 will result in COMA :naughty:

Here is a Breakdown of Blood:

Plasma Portion - 50 - 60% of total blood volume.

of which;

91 - 92% is water

7 -8% proteins (albumin, globulins,fibrogens,etc..)

1% - 2% - IONs, sugars, lipids, amino acids, hormones, vitamins, dissolved gasses.

Cellular Portion - 40 -50% of total volume

Primarily Red Blood cells - 4,800,000 - 5,400,000 per microliter

White Blood cells: Neutrophils - 3,000 - 6,750 per microliter

Lymphocytes - 1,000 - 2,7000 per microliter

(and some numbers of Monocytes, Eosinophils, and Basophils)

Getting back to the Salt part,

I'm not so sure of your electrolyte claim. Like InfiniteNow - I'm scratching the hair on my chinny chin chin. :hammer:

H2CO3 --->>> HCO3- + H+

&

the reverse HCO3- + H+ --->>> H2CO3

The chemoelectrical process I mentioned regarding nerve cells relates to sodium/potassium channels. There are little gates that open and close, through which ions in the axon hillox flow, changing the electirical potential of the cell, and the cells beside it, resulting in a cascade of electrical impulse through the central nervous system. Cell branches are also coated in a myelin sheathing, which acts as an insulator, allowing the current to propogate more quickly by "jumping" from cell to cell.

This is only peripherally related to the idea in this thread, chi, but may help those less familiar better understand what we actually know already.

righty- o!:gift:

the jelly-rolled myelin sheaths, OR Schwann Cells, speed up the rate of which action potential propogates along axons.

Exposed nodes, or gaps, seperate each cell from the next. There are the "voltage sensitive" gated sodium channels that pepper the the plasma membrane, and like IN said - Jumps - (or sometimes referred to as saltatory conduction - :shade:)

getting a little farther ahead, In large sheathed axons, action potentials propegate at a remarkable speed 400 feet per second!! :unlove:

The central nervous system has no Schwann cells. There, glia called Oligodendrocytes sheath myelinated axons...

Pretty amazing stuff!

I am gonna' get back to the Heart and SA node. I find this pretty cool, How the sinoatrial node "generates" wave after wave of excitation. :doh:

1% of cardiac cells do not contract, but rather function as a conduction system. The self-excitatory pacemaker cells spontaneously produce and conduct electrical impulses that stimulate the contraction of the heart's contractile cells! + the Purkinje Fibers ability to conduct.

So, are these cells like Mini Electricity generators??

if so then there is definitely Bio-electrical current associated with Chi.

Now off to find some Magnetic traits...

Racoon,

I appreciate your enthusiasm, as well as your passion for the subject, but let's both be cautious making logical fallacies and turning away the ideas of others. Prompting this request is your interaction with Erasmus in the other thread and also your statement above:

if so then there is definitely Bio-electrical current associated with Chi.

Being open to all possibilities, the truth will find us, not the other way around.

I look forward to the information you might share on the ideas posed here.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, as well as your passion for the subject, but let's both be cautious making logical fallacies and turning away the ideas of others.

Being open to all possibilities, the truth will find us, not the other way around.

I'm trying to bridge the gap Amigo. :doh:

Jumping to conclusions like a Nerve Impulse Jumps! :unlove: -->> :shade:

Good point. :eek:

Don't forget the word "IF" - I try to qualify my statements. :gift:

my other thread was moved to Philosophy. so I can speculate all I want with Science and Chi there... :lol:

Chi

Let's explore it's possible interpretations and applications together.

Please, contribute. :shade:

I accept the compliment and complaint you gave IN, and respect it. :gift:

But how are my comments contrary to what you initially proposed here?

Possible Interpretations? I thought I was exploring those.

The purpose of "exploration" means sometimes theorizing without the Science to prove it yet...:doh:

I know I should use caution with words like "definitely" "never" and "always"

sorry for nit-picking,

lesson learned. :lol:

Play Ball :unlove: