Science Forums

Analog/Digital/Mind

Queso

or you can just learn to type faster :cool:

I did a test once where i typed whatever came to mind, I made it string sentances so it wasnt just a mindless jumble of words, anyway I did it for about 10 minutes and at the end I counted it up and I averaged 70wpm and thats not even that fast! I reckon if you where a really quick typist you wouldnt be able to think of things fast enough for your fingers to type.

but alas your way would be very handy!

It's being worked on, though admittedly not yet on the level you describe. The thrust of the work is being done by the military, like Air Force, whereby the pilot controls the plane with their mind. Also, some recent experiments with quadrapalegics are being done using similar technology.

It does not seem too far fetched to envision this technology evolving into communications, like a cell phone linked to a chip placed at the synaptic level. If this happens, there ought not be a reason it couldn't be coupled with a typing system, much like the speech recognition software which has come out recently.