Science Forums

...Right so, ear won't pop.

I was lifting weights today, and breathing vigorously. At one very distinct point I felt my left ear pop in a strange way, and since, when I open my jaw all the way and exhale I can hear air rushing in my left ear...

It's that same sensation as when your ear is popped partially or not correctly or whatever when you're on a plane/going up a mountain road in a car.

Got me a bit nervous. You guys think I might've done some real damage? I verified that I can still hear the same out of both ears with a good ole' a-b test utilizing earplugs.

I was doing a left lateral raise when this happened.

Speedy responses would be massively appreciated.

Somehow that never occured to me. It's possible, and I appreciate the peace of mind it brings.

Anyone else have any logical speculations? I'm not looking for a doctor's opinion, if I was I'd be talking to a doctor. Don't worry if it doesn't seem professional enough, I'm looking for ideas to say to the doctor if it persists and I end up consulting one!

Guest chendoh
.....Anyone else have any logical speculations? I'm not looking for a doctor's opinion, if I was I'd be talking to a doctor. Don't worry if it doesn't seem professional enough, I'm looking for ideas to say to the doctor if it persists and I end up consulting one!
It's that same sensation as when your ear is popped partially or not correctly or whatever when you're on a plane/going up a mountain road in a car.

ingannilo, it sounds like you may still have some residual problems from SET (strange ear thing), Infections of the inner/middle ear are awful hard to get rid of.

Do you still have the plane/mrc effect?

This is caused by unequal pressure between the inner ear (a partially sealed unit) and the atmosphere of earth, with the ear drum being the intermediary.

In time this should go away.

You can try to help it along by deep yawning while gently tugging on the affected ear, grab you ear pull it up, down, all around, anything else can be dangerous, and cause permanent hearing loss!

Warmth behind the affected ear can provide a soothing comfort.

I was lifting weights today, and breathing vigorously. At one very distinct point I felt my left ear pop in a strange way, and since, when I open my jaw all the way and exhale I can hear air rushing in my left ear...

Call me weird, but I like the air rushing effect. :lol:

Most people haven't heard of the Eustachian Tube (Bartolommeo Eustachio 1520-1574) There's one for the trivia thread.

It is a slender tube that runs from the middle ear to the pharynx which serves to equalize the pressure on both sides of the ear drum.

If this is blocked i.e.infection sludge, it can't do it's 24/365 job, your ear has an imblance, and until it balances you'll have these effects.

Is it bleeding?; dull blood colored ear fluid can mean an inner ear infection and it was pushed out through the drum, which is permeable, remember osmosis?

Bright blood means something tore, most likely the drum. even that's not so bad, can be painful though. Kids get tubes in their ears every day, it's similar to a tracheotomy. The Dr. inserts the tube and the drum seals around it, when the tube comes out the drum reseals/reheals itself.

Don't mean to scare you, but you should keep a close eye on this if it doesn't get better or lessen in severity by next week, go see a good Otologist. (ear,nose,throat doctor)

Guest chendoh

DCM....you refer to an old folk remedy, called 'candling' (no relation to checking eggs), that I seen done on my neice.

It will produce temporary relief, of up to several hours.

The apparatus is a lightly waxed, funneled, tube of paper, approximately twelve inches long.

The 'patient' lies down on his side, with the affected ear facing up.

The 'holistic' places a protective cover with an ear cutout, over the patient's head and shoulder's.

The holistic lights the apparatus, then gently places the small end of the tube into the ear canal while the tube burns.

The relief comes, because the burning at the top of the tube causes negative pressure in the ear canal, helping to draw the inner ear fluids, into a more favorable position, in the inner ear........remember osmosis?

It's worth the effort, my neice was in terrible pain, and as a last resort (it was over the weekend, no doctors) her friend did it for her, the pain calmed down enough until she could see the doc.

Bottom line is still, time, pain relief, and a wait and see attitude.

It's gone away for the most part, I still feel some strange pressure behind the eardrum, though.
.....you should keep a close eye on this if it doesn't get better or lessen in severity by next week, go see a good Otologist. (ear,nose,throat doctor)

Steve :lol: