Science Forums

Shutdown & restart for desktop

Guest chendoh

Guest chendoh

On my 98 I had these two icons, but with my new xp I can't seen to locate the files to put them in.

I'm not even sure the 98 command will work either.......any thoughts?

I'm headin' for work, check back around 4am dst

For XP the shutdown and restart icons have been moved to the start menu. look on the bottom right of it when you open it.

I think you can make Icons to do exactly that by calling to the DOS "shutdown" command in a user-created Icon/shortcut.

To learn what arguments you need to type in to do what you want to do, go to the start menue and choose "run" (alternatly press and hold the windows key on your keyboard and then press the "r" key simultaniously to bring up the dame run dialog). Type in "cmd' or "command" to bring up the DOS window. Type in "shutdown /?" to get a complete list of the arguments you can pass to the shutdown command.

Hope that helps.

Guest chendoh

Thanks GAHD, I'll try that. Let you know results here.

When I got home I tried the 98 command, and placed them in win folder, like old times, with no results.

I'm surprised win doesn't have dialog popup saying 'guess again'

Guest chendoh
For XP the shutdown and restart icons have been moved to the start menu. look on the bottom right of it when you open it.

I think you can make Icons to do exactly that by calling to the DOS "shutdown" command in a user-created Icon/shortcut.

To learn what arguments you need to type in to do what you want to do, go to the start menue and choose "run" (alternatly press and hold the windows key on your keyboard and then press the "r" key simultaniously to bring up the dame run dialog). Type in "cmd' or "command" to bring up the DOS window. Type in "shutdown /?" to get a complete list of the arguments you can pass to the shutdown command.

Hope that helps.

Gahd, You were right on track. :eek2: :wave:

If I may elaborate........

Steps to place SD & RS Icons on Desktop:

• To learn what arguments you need to type in to do what you want to do, go to the start menue and choose "run" (alternatly press and hold the windows key on your keyboard and then press the "r" key simultaniously to bring up the dame run dialog). Type in "cmd' or "command" to bring up the DOS window. Type in "shutdown /?" to get a complete list of the arguments you can pass to the shutdown command.
  • I think you can make Icons to do exactly that by calling to the DOS "shutdown" command in a user-created Icon/shortcut.
  • Right click on Desktop, go to 'New', then shortcut. A wizard pops up, :Waldo: Type in Command you selected, clk OK, enter name for shortcut, clk OK.....Icon is now on desktop.
  • You can change DOS icon; by Rt.clk/Properties/chg icon..... you can use one of uncle bill's or yours,..... I haven't tried avatars yet, will let you know here.

On my XP I used

SHUTDOWN -r -t 0 for restart/time 0sec. Use CAPS/spaces/zero

SHUTDOWN -s -t 0 for shutdown/time 0 sec. Use CAPS/spaces/zero

You might also have Commands for, Standby/Hibernate.

Mine is set up that it shuts it ALL down, including main power :cool: Other Pcs may not have this capability.:(

Some may find this hack redundant, but it does save 3 clks, and it's right there, you don't have to dig.

More in depth see:

http://aumha.org/win5/a/shutcut.php

Avast 'ere matey,Tanks 'gin GAHD :pirate: :thumbs_up