Science Forums

What is intelligence?

Uncle Martin

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by: shiva

the only intelligence, self knowledge, out of self knowledge comes love and kindness, out of which comes a higher level of consciousness

Shiva, this is the 2nd time you have posted something similar to this here. I'm not sure of what you are trying to say.

Please explain what the "higher level of consciousness" is that you speak of. How does it differ from "other levels" of consciouness? What physical areas of the brain does it utilize?

• 4 weeks later...

Intelligence might just be a coinsidence, one that appeared to work, too. A nervous system of some kind is necessary if you're not a plant but rather an animal. After all, if you're going to move about you need control over yourself as well as knowledge about the surrounding environment. So, sensors and means to process the sensations apparently was a solution that worked, and so nature stuck with it. I'm certainly not an expert in biology or evolution, but if we fastforward to the primates, it may well have been so that the brains and the extremities evolved hand-in-hand so to speak. The primates were perhaps weak compared to many other animals and so it happened that a more advanced nervous centre was a benefit, as it made them more efficient in hunting and also being able to hide from some animals. Tools and weapons came next, and there is where they started to become different from the rest of the animals. Intelligence became more and more important.

So what exactly is intelligence? Well, my guess is that it is a property that most species posess more or less. Perhaps intelligence is the ability to learn and adapt - at least human intelligence. But I also suspect that it can be much wider than that. In a way, even some plants and computers are intelligent, but in completely different ways and on different levels. Intelligence is something that only intelligent entities can recognize as intelligent :-)

Another example would be the possibility of extraterrestrial life, and even such life that we would call intelligent. They may well be so different from us that they would still be intelligent but still completely inhuman. Or maybe they would be so different that we wouldn't notice that they're intelligent.

(Sorry about the horizontal rules. They seem to be necessary since it is suddenly impossible to create new paragraph by pressing Enter...?)

maybe 'higher levels of consciousness' is to know more about the universe and the 'grand cosmic plan' of the universe (meaning where it is headed towards, what is the position and role of mankind, etc)

but i'm not sure about 'out of self knowledge comes love and kindness'. I think it would perhaps make better sense if the 'higher level of consciousness' precedes 'love and kindness'.

In order to find out if the assumption is true, we would have to gain self knowledge. so the question is how do we attain self knowledge? Freethinker's answer would be obvious: logic, reason and critical thinking. so we arrive at the question of epistemology

Hmm.. I'm straying of topic. Getting back to the topic, shiva is implying that intelligence is self-knowledge.

So who can define self-knowledge?

My class'll start in a minute. have to go........

Good point. What is self-knowledge. I guess we could ask any of those people who give courses these days about how to learn to live better by knowing your limits. It's all the rage, it seems. We should ask Dr. Phil!

Sorry, I have no better answer. I think self-knowledge comes down to feeling good about one self and knowing what you want to do with your life and how to cope with things. Nobody can have complete self-knowledge and lead what I would call a "normal" life (ie, having a family, job, friends etc) because modern life is too stressful. But at least it is possible to stop and think and realize that the only person who can really take care of ourselves is (in the long run) us.

This may be very far from the intelligence discussion so sorry if I'm competely off topic.

We should ask Dr. Phil!

Watch it there, mister - I happen to think Dr. Phil is fabulous! What a great way to spend an hour - watching the good doctor tell some lady that she's fat because she has no self-control, and to just get up off her couch and do something about it. I also love it when he tells parents to start acting like parents. I think the world needs more people like Dr. Phil - stop sugar-coating things and tell it like it really is!

As for the topic - intelligence, knowledge, self-knowledge???? I can't remember what I wrote when the topic was started, but I know I put some thought into it. Does my lack of memory of my previous reply indicate a lack of intelligence? If so, I'm in real trouble!

Originally posted by: IrishEyes

Watch it there, mister - I happen to think Dr. Phil is fabulous! What a great way to spend an hour - watching the good doctor tell some lady that she's fat because she has no self-control, and to just get up off her couch and do something about it. I also love it when he tells parents to start acting like parents. I think the world needs more people like Dr. Phil - stop sugar-coating things and tell it like it really is!

That's right. We need more quacks giving 10 second solutions after 30 second intensive investigations into people's problems. Why bother with finding what the true underlying problems are when a "one size fits all" sound bite works so well on TV and radio call ins?

Does getting off the couch and eating right not work? Sure for those that can get themselves to do it. And who does not already know this? Does Dr Phil parrotting it and belittling a person on national TV provide the positive motivation a person would need to succesfully internalize it?

Mybe the best thing a person could do is turn Dr Phil off and take a walk at that time instead.

Originally posted by: IrishEyes

We should ask Dr. Phil!

I think the world needs more people like Dr. Phil - stop sugar-coating things and tell it like it really is!

And here I was, thinking that Dr Phil's coat was made of 110% sugar...

Does my lack of memory of my previous reply indicate a lack of intelligence? If so, I'm in real trouble!

Well, if anything it indicates an overdose of Dr. Phil.