Science Forums

Terawatt Electrolysis

matrixscarface

Not as a means of creating electricity..

As a means of burning water as an alternative fuel, by instantly converting water to explosive H + 0 instead of storing up hi amounts of Hydrogen in a fuel tank.

Ahh, I get it :shrug:

So your vehicle would have to carry around electricity and water intead of hydrogen?

several ignition systems are capable of developing 60,000 volts of electricity to the spark plug using a rather small power source from the battery + altinator on the vehicle. Which are available for very high performance demand engines.

It is possible to engineer a much much higher voltage system. Although it may require more amperage, this I do not know.

I am not concirned really about the car or an engine. The point was can you electricute water in fine amounts with high concentration of electric current and instantly seperate it with a proper setup, in order to create fuel on the go. Id like to see similar experiments.

• 8 months later...

Wow this is cool.

It appears my vision is more possible than I thought. That of repetitively burning water. break apart, burn, apart, burn, to create an continuous after burner effect untill finally you have a very high velocity high pressure, whatever you wanna call it.

There has been some research in this type of effect of atomizing water instantly by high current. I came across this.

Water atomisation by high magnitude electrical impulses: A study.

Run a current through water and its molecules will split up at the electrodes forming Hydrogen and Oxygen (H20 => H2 + O2 requiring 854KJ/Mol)[1]. The process is not 100% efficient, as it involves the movement of molecules and ions to and from the electrodes, causing them to bump into one another on their way and hence increasing overall enthalpy. In fact, a high enough current will heat a small water bath to the point of boiling during a very brief period of electrolysis.

However, this only happens because water in its natural form contains mineral salts which make it conductive. In its purest form (only obtainable through extensive de-gassing, purification and de-ionization), water is in fact a phenomenal dielectric, with a dielectric constant (K) of 80[2]2] and a voltage standoff in the order of several thousand volts per millimeter (this varies enormously with purity and somewhat with temperature). Because it behaves as a near-infinite resistance load for any source of EMF, ultrapure water, as is called the liquid having less than 10^12ohms/m resistance is used in some pulse forming network capacitors and for insulating some special high voltage high frequency lines and the like................