Science Forums

Kubuntu network woes

I have spent a couple hours now trying to fix this but to no avail.

My Linux lappy has lost all Internet connections. I am unable to connect via the built-in ethernet port and the wifi PCMCIA card.

I was upgrading the system via adept when my line went down for a brief period, after which I was unable to continue updating. So I rebooted...and since then I have no net connection.

I have searched the Kubuntu forums and found out, basically, that wifi networking in Kubuntu is a fine art (either it works or it doesn't) so if some helpful soul can help me out I'd be much obliged.

I am about to backup my files and documents and will attempt a reinstall, since my card did work prior to the attempted upgrade.

This is one of the many reasons why I'm not ready to jump 100% into Linux...too much hazzle when the little things go wrong.

Apparently incomprehensible complication and aversion to standards make for a superior overall system and user experience. :eek_big:

I like to compare it to gearheads. My dad is the biggest gearhead in the world. Owned his own auto repair shop back inthe 60's. For him tinkering under the hood comes so naturally that he can't understand why people think it is a problem. When his cars run they are always modified in some fashion to make them better than stock, but they always need tinkering. I want a car that the hood is welded shut on. I don't want to fiddle, I want it to run. That is why I have not jumped to Linux.

Bill

What bothers me at the moment is that my NIC has a fixed green led which means it is connected. The Wifi interface GUI also says it is connected, it names my network and gives the correct mac address. But I am unable to get the machine to set a local IP.

I know it's not the access point, because I can boot into windows and it works great.

If I go into the Kubuntu system settings and try to enable the connection via the Connection manager, it is enabled for about 2 milliseconds, then it is disabled again. No warning, no error, nothing. Talk about user friendly, eh? Piece of crap... :eek_big:

What bothers me at the moment is that my NIC has a fixed green led which means it is connected. The Wifi interface GUI also says it is connected, it names my network and gives the correct mac address. But I am unable to get the machine to set a local IP.

I know it's not the access point, because I can boot into windows and it works great.

If I go into the Kubuntu system settings and try to enable the connection via the Connection manager, it is enabled for about 2 milliseconds, then it is disabled again. No warning, no error, nothing. Talk about user friendly, eh? Piece of crap... ;)

That explains the whole thing! Linux runs so fast that you have plenty of time to get all your work done within the 2 millisecond window. This is obviously a user issue. :eek_big:

That explains the whole thing! Linux runs so fast that you have plenty of time to get all your work done within the 2 millisecond window. This is obviously a user issue. :eek:

You're probably right about it being a user issue. I just need to figure out how the heck this user can redo whatever was done... ;)

Ha! Fixed it! Beat it into submission!

It turns out that the lappy lost connection at the same instant it was setting up an upgraded version of dhcp... :D

Took me about 5 hours to troubleshoot, one lucky guess, and 1 minute to sort out.

Apparently incomprehensible complication and aversion to standards make for a superior overall system and user experience. :hihi:

I like to compare it to gearheads. My dad is the biggest gearhead in the world. Owned his own auto repair shop back inthe 60's. For him tinkering under the hood comes so naturally that he can't understand why people think it is a problem. When his cars run they are always modified in some fashion to make them better than stock, but they always need tinkering. I want a car that the hood is welded shut on. I don't want to fiddle, I want it to run. That is why I have not jumped to Linux.

Bill

No matter how well things are built, the fact remains... it's just a matter of time until something breaks. That is why I'm migrating to Linux. The mechanics I know complain incessantly about how hard things are getting to work on these days. Well... Windows is impossible to work on. Your only option is reinstall. Granted, if you don't know cars you can't fix them. But you can always learn. Unless your hood is welded *cough* closed... better have good credit. :eek:

It turns out that the lappy lost connection at the same instant it was setting up an upgraded version of dhcp... :eek:

Took me about 5 hours to troubleshoot, one lucky guess, and 1 minute to sort out.

Another h4x0r is born every minute... :hihi:

• 2 months later...

It turns out that the lappy lost connection at the same instant it was setting up an upgraded version of dhcp... :cup:

Hey. I am in the same problem. I was downloading a file through FrostWire when I came back and my computer screensaver froze up, and I had to force shutdown. When it booted back up, I could not enable my wireless. Basically, the exact same problem you have had. I am glad you figured out a solution and solved it.. Could you tell me how you went about fixing the problem? As detailed as possible would be appreciated. :)