Science Forums

The difference between anti-reflective and polarized glass?

I've been looking into getting some glass for a project of mine.

Howeve, I don't know exactly what type of glass would be the best.

AR (anti-reflective) glass seems to give about 1% of a reflection.

Polarized glass takes in light and just gives out a certain frequency on the opposite side of the pane. (link)

I'm looking more into the physical properties, not really the structure.

When I hold a patterened piece of cloth in front of glass inside, the glass gives off a glare from the sun next to my window, and also the pattern is reflected.

I was wondering what would happen if that glass were to be AR: Would then the reflection of pattern and glare not be there?

From what I've researched, both would not be present apparent in the reflection of AR glass.

However, how would the reflection look if I were to use polarized glass?

I know that objects take in light and reflect the lightwave not being used.

I'm using the glass to cover a material. I don't want the polarized glass to give a "mirror effect". Will the polarized glass give a mirror effect? I've learned it won't give glare, but will it reflect colors from the surface, or will it asorb and not display the pattern of cloth?

Well, it wasn't me, but I agree with the move. Don't be put off, thats a conjunctive "and", which semantically means "or", so since you did imply strongly it was a project and you wanted advice, it does belong here. Please don't take being lumped with "Homework" as being pejorative... :eek2:

If you really just want to talk about the science behind it then we can certainly move it back!

Cheers,

Buffy

Reflection from an interface is a function the difference of refractive indices of the two media and the angle of view. 5-8% reflection at normal incidence air to glass is typical. Polarized glass will reflect.

A cheap AR coating is a 1/2-wavelength cancellation surface layer at mid-wavelength viewing to give 1% reflection or less. Things get worse as you move away from the tuned wavelength. The layer itself has a refractive index around the square root of the product of the other two refractive indicies. An expensive multilayer AR coating is flat no reflection (1% or less) across a broad window.

What will you do about the back side of the cover plate?